Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TXV valve problems

I'm working on a r498 system that has high superheat. I've tried adjusting the TXV valves but the slightest adjustment makes them hunt. Or do TXV valves normally fluctuate? I can adjust the TXV valve for 20 degrees superheat but then it fluctuates between 15 degrees to 25 degrees. Never stays at 20 degrees. Is this normal? I adjusted it back to the center of the adjustment which I was told that's factory adjustment. But now my superheat is too high. Any advice would be good. Thanks. I'm new so don't laugh too hard at my question. Rusty

R408 system not a r498. Sorry. Stupid iPad.

Certain types of valves tend to "hunt" as a fairly normal part of their operation.

Superheat isn't always a nice, even constant figure.

I'm not a refrigeration guru but is your system at design temp?

So should I adjust the valves to where they are staying between 15 and 25 degrees and not worry about it? I just know that high superheat is a reason for premature compressor burnout.

When ever you adjust a TXV it will hunt.. It will take at least 1/2 an hour for it to maintain its maximum stable signal.. If you think about how a TXV works it'll all make sense...

Hunting isn't a big deal. just make sure your discharge temp stays below 225 and your suction superheat at the compressor isn't below 20. these superheat numbers you're posting, are they at the evap or at the compressor?

Yeah at the compressor. The superheat goes below 20 and goes above 20. 15 to 25

I might be naive but why adjust the superheat to the compressor? I thought you adjusted the superheat to outlet of the evap. If you have to much superheat back to the compressor couldn't that be caused also by a lack of insulation or going through hot zones? I do understand that you want a maximum amount of superheat to compressor for cooling the compressor and I would have to consult the manufacturer for that info.

Also, I don't believe you can truely check superheat until the box/case has reached temp.

Could be a sign valve is too big for application.

I would say check at box temp, shoot for 20-35 at
    Compressor and u will be good

The box was at temp. I'm checking superheat at the compressor because I have a sman3 fieldpiece. It makes it easier because my digital gauge calculates superheat. Is it ok for the superheat to drop below 20 degrees as long as it doesn't stay below? Like I said the valves are fluctuating. Just wanting to make sure I protect the compressor.

So this is a multi case system?
    What is the compressor make and model?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast