A/C work for bosses relative

If your supervisor asked you to look at an A/C unit on a relatives house as a favor. Would you do it if you were a strictly refer tech shop. What about the liability factor involved. What if something happened after you worked on the unit? Is it better to refer it on to an HVAC company that is covered on licensing, bonding and insurance. And what if something went wrong? What would it do to your relationship with your boss? What are your thoughts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Done it more than once!

If you think you're capable, do it. Resi ac is nothing compared to refrigeration.

I've been in that position a couple times, and I've just gone and done it. I look at it as a way to help improve my job security, even if it's just a tiny bit. (Unless you end up burning down the house. Don't do that.)

I hear what you're saying. We don't do any residential work, but a few of the people higher up in the company and from the office have me work on stuff at their house. I am a little worried about the liability factor, and I always think about what could go wrong. Usually I will either talk to them on the phone or go there and look at it, if its something straightforward I will do it, if it looks like I'm in over my head or might be some danger/liability issues I tell them the name of a legit company that I know will do a good job and tell them to call them.

Two years ago my supervisor (his job is to manage and supervise, technical skills not so good) had me go to his house to look at his furnace. Then in the spring the a/c, then a couple weeks later the pool heater, then the pool filter, then the hot tub, then the washing machine, then the subwoofers in his home theater quit working, then the dryer broke, then the popcorn machine in the home theatre, it never ends.

Now I end up at his house about once a month or so. He pays good, typically 1.5 to 2 times my hourly wage in cash. He is good to deal with.

Another guy from the office had a relative that owned a restaurant, I've gone there numerous times to fix hot side equipment. One time they called about a gas leak, somehow the gas company had gotten involved and come and locked the meter. Nobody knew what/where the gas leak was, so I gave them the name of a plumbing/fitting company that was a lot better equipped to deal with it and said to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    If you think you're capable, do it. Resi ac is nothing compared to refrigeration.
    Arrogance sticks it's head out again.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Arrogance sticks it's head out again.
    How is that arrogant, he is a refrigeration tech so he should be more than capable to work on a comfort cooling system.

Been doing mostly commercial refrigeration since 72. I think refrigeration is easy compaired to some AC units. I do some AC work and some HP's, I have no trouble figuring heat loss on a cooler of freezer, but on a house? Not so easy. Used to be we could just charge an AC by sight glass. Not so anymore. I use the digital gauges and lots of wireless stuff. Found systems that were not charged right from day 1. No to me AC work is a challenge. That is probably why at my age I have started to do a bunch of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    How is that arrogant, he is a refrigeration tech so he should be more than capable to work on a comfort cooling system.

If the favor involves getting paid, I've done it. If it's a freebie, I'm not feeling well. I have never turned down work based on my job description and have only once been on a call that was out of my league. Don't sell yourself short. The refrigeration circuit is the same.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Been there done that, just finished installing a new refrigeration system on the owners boat. I did a 120% job and he is super happy with it and actualy recomended a raise for me. Haven seen the raise as my service mngr is a cheepass