Anybody here have Copeland O/L specs ?

This compressor is a:

Copeland AFE11C3E IAA 901

How can I find out the operating specifications of the compressor O/L? Specifically: how many running amps will cause it to open?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Overload Specs

PHM,

That's a 1/3 HP Nom R404a Sweat R Compressor 115 VAC is that correct??

If so it takes a P/N 971C10001 Compressor Overload/Protector.

Copeland doesn't and won't provide the spec you are requesting per se, but the reasoning is sound. The OL/P 'hugging' the compressor senses the compressor heat and the generated amp draw/voltage drop heat together and combines them to provide the protection curve Copeland determines is necessary.

It's a very efficient and reliable control when used in this application but could be ineffective and unreliable if used as a stand alone component.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

B

My actual question is this -

I have a 1/3 HP Copeland compressor as my subject. The FLA is 5.6 The system draws 6.55 amps - with the condenser fan - which is 0.34 amps by itself. So the compressor itself draws 6.2 amps. But the compressor cycles on the O/L. So my question is: is the O/L weak?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by HVACRACbob View Post
    PHM,

That's a 1/3 HP Nom R404a Sweat R Compressor 115 VAC is that correct??

If so it takes a P/N 971C10001 Compressor Overload/Protector.

Copeland doesn't and won't provide the spec you are requesting per se, but the reasoning is sound. The OL/P 'hugging' the compressor senses the compressor heat and the generated amp draw/voltage drop heat together and combines them to provide the protection curve Copeland determines is necessary.

It's a very efficient and reliable control when used in this application but could be ineffective and unreliable if used as a stand alone component.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

B
    PHM
    --------

Well the performance sheet at the highest (140 cond 15 evap) shows 6.7 amps so I wouldn't think it should open at 6.2 unless there is alot of heat or it is weak. And if it is running at those extremes i'd expect its been cycling for awhile and getting weaker.

The rated max continuous current (MCC) for this compressor is 7.84 amps, which is usually what they use to select the trip point for the overload. I'd say you have a weak overload.

Name:  AFE11C3E-IAA.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  53.5 KB

You were right - I replaced all the start components and it's off and running. Passed the health inspection today so that's about all they cared about. I got them to shut off all the stoves, ovens, grilles, fryers and set the A/C on 68 over night. It was 70*in the kitchen at 8:00A this morning, the health inspector came at 9:00A and, what do you know? All the refrigeration equipment was at temp. <g>

I don't know what they are going to do next month though . . . . <g>
    PHM
    --------

Copeland offers an electrical handbook which is very useful to keep on board a service truck or on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by StarCat View Post
    Copeland offers an electrical handbook which is very useful to keep on board a service truck or on hand.
    hard to find these locally I think they are CD's now