Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soaking wet

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    An interesting variation on code is a sealed and insulated crawl space can be used as a supply plenum with no ducts. The furnace pressurizes the crawl space and grills are installed as usual. I knew a guy that was going to build this way. I'm not sure if it's still code and maybe just in New Mexico.
    I never saw any advantage in heat/cool the extra space. NM has other curious codes like brick floors directly on the ground. Straw bale walls. Tire houses. Of course, adobe.
    Well I believe you would have a problem with that based on sealing requirements in the code. If you could get it to pass the duct sealing tests then I think you would be OK but that would be hard to do with craw space walls IMHO. If you did and say have one central return duct for the unit with free air return in the house then you should be good to go. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    An interesting variation on code is a sealed and insulated crawl space can be used as a supply plenum with no ducts. The furnace pressurizes the crawl space and grills are installed as usual. I knew a guy that was going to build this way. I'm not sure if it's still code and maybe just in New Mexico.
    I never saw any advantage in heat/cool the extra space. NM has other curious codes like brick floors directly on the ground. Straw bale walls. Tire houses. Of course, adobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well I believe you would have a problem with that based on sealing requirements in the code. If you could get it to pass the duct sealing tests then I think you would be OK but that would be hard to do with craw space walls IMHO. If you did and say have one central return duct for the unit with free air return in the house then you should be good to go. Thank you very much
    Never seen that... however I have seen the crawl closed into a mini-basement (42" tall, with poured walls and floor and insulated), used as a return for 2 systems (yes, two systems). The supply was all ducted within the space. Interesting design... except for the shorty elec water heaters... would hate to have to change them. And yes, the house is in a suburb of Atlanta.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Like I said,I'm not sure if it's still code and so many building practices are unique here in NM like rammed earth, tire houses, tarone' block. There is an Adobe code. Then there's earth houses. Part in the ground and part peeking out. Some will cut a doorway or window in adobe using a piece of barbed wire and a guy on both sides using the wire like a two man saw. In places it's considered earth etiquette to allow adobe buildings to melt back to the ground when they are no longer used.
    We don't need no stinking permits.
    Tracers work both ways.

In Maryland we use crawl spaces as huge Serpentariums.

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    In Maryland we use crawl spaces as huge Serpentariums.
    In NM Black Widows are very common. They have a web that is EZ to ID once you feel it. Poorly made and very tough. They also like crawl spaces. I know a guy that freaked when in a dark crawl his head ran into one. He knew just by the feel what it was. His reverse gear was as fast as his forward.

One of the larger companies in town made policy that crawls are confined spaces and required two people ( one outside) with ventilation equipment and radio contact. Probably a pricy service call.
    Tracers work both ways.

the black widow wouldn't have to bite me...I'd just have a heart attack & save it the trouble.
    spiders creep me out.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

We have all kinds of BIG spiders around my area... One I see regularly is lite tan, body around the size of a dime, and leg spread about as large as a golf tennis ball. I understand they will create a welt (like a bee sting), but not dangerous except in large numbers. I have never seen more than one in a web... maybe 3 or 4 total in a BIG crawl.

Just take a stick and break up their web... they scurry away.

I saw someone get bit by a brown recluse in Houston decades ago... guy was in excruciating pain. Got him to the hospital quickly, they just saved his hand. Nasty little critters.

Hey ERLA... how was the foam gig? Did you learn how to spray it?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

monday the 8th....I'm really looking forward to it!!
    I'm going to learn how to do it....even if it takes the bulk
    of the day!
    I can get SO to take pics...but would have to learn to
    take video with my camera. I'll see if I have time to learn &
    teach SO. he is more challenged than I am with the camera.
    even though I get the same brand every time...he stilll needs
    me to show him how to review pics...LOL!

we have black widows, brown recluse & golden orb spiders.
    I find the bw's in turned over pots...never seen br..but seen
    people bitten by them...we used to call them hunk spiders...rots a hunk
    out of you. the golden orb or bananna spiders are huge...strong webs
    and will make me tumble off backwards off the lawnmower. haven't seen
    many of them this year...thank god!!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Is it possible to condition the space? Add a supply and return in the sealed crawl space?

Quote Originally Posted by skapusci View Post
    Is it possible to condition the space? Add a supply and return in the sealed crawl space?
    Some are conditioning the space. Just like with a/c in a home, during hot weather with the a/c on, the space is<50%RH if the a/c is setup with a cold coil. Unfortunately when the cooling load declines but the outdoor dew point remains +60^F, the crawlspace is damp because the surface temperatures are 65-68^F. This means near 100%RH and mold grows fast.
    A small dehumidifier is a better fix. This is being done by the thousands right now throughout crawlspace regions.
    In fact the entire home suffers from the same problem, not enough sensible cooling load to remove the moisture in the home during cool wet weather. When the dews points are +60% F, we need 2-3Lbs. per hour of dehumidification to keep the house and crawlspace <50%RH. When the space is unoccupied, you can turn off the a/c. A high efficiency dehu like Ultra-Aire/Santa Fe operates on a <a buck a day. Saves big bucks.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12