Suction accumulator noise

Changed out a 5H60, performed startup, during Hot gas defrost clanking noise developed in the suction accum, Henry S-12048.

The noise is not very loud but noticeable, in fear that suspected object might damage the boil out loop, left unit off overnight to return next day with a boroscope.

Next day, opened drain at bottom and relief at top.

Removed ~1/4 gallon oil and some usual debris, small particles likely from the construction of the accum.

Did not see any foreign objects inside, however did notice that the anti siphon tube had a wiggle to it when I nudged the accum.

The only thing I could conclude is the one of the welds that hold the anti siphon to the mount failed allowing the tube to clank against the mount.

Anybody have a similar experience or other possible causes to the noise?

The unit is back on the line, told on site maintenance staff to monitor the noise.

ttt

I had a compressor in a ice-o-matic taking slugs during harvest. Tech support had me change the accummulator. Saying the u-tube may be broken. After that it did quit slugging. I don't remember if it was henry or what brand it was!

I don't think this one has a j-tube, at least from diagram and the boroscope check, but good to know.

How is the oil returned without a j-tube ?

Without the outlet j-tube - how is the oil and refrigerant returned to the compressor? That little jet-syphon orifice at the bottom of the loop is how the refrigerant gets metered back to the compressor. Boiling liquid refrigerant to a vapor at close to saturation temperature takes, well; just about forever. The purpose of an accumulator is to break the slugs up into pieces that the compressor can tolerate - NOT to allow the refrigerant to boil off.

That can be done of course - but that's more of what would be called a surge drum. Or sometimes a knock-out pot. <g> But even with those you would have to get the oil back with a jet pump (or a liquid pump if the system was large enough).

If there is no j-tube there is neither oil return nor liquid refrigerant return. Without a j-tube you don't really have an accumulator. I might look again but probably only later with a saw - after I installed the new accumulator. The risk is too great not to replace the accumulator at the sign of Any problem with it.

Maybe it's just me - but I would insist on replacing it.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
    I don't think this one has a j-tube, at least from diagram and the boroscope check, but good to know.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

It has an anti siphon tube that serves the same purpose as a j-tube, I believe.

Henry diagram shows (pretty weakly) shows the anti clog oil return orifice at the bottom of the anti siphon tube.

http://www.henrytech.com/catalog/2010/R22-R26.pdf page 25