high amp draw on start up

old customer asked me to look at a freezer that a competitor replaced a compressor on 1-1/2 years ago..

its been tripping a breaker for a while..i checked the pressures and the amp draw...its a 404 system, running pressure seem ok, lra is 109 and rla is 22, when its running it runs at 15 amp, but on start up it over loads my meter..

system pumps down ok on the t-stat. when the solenoid opens i can see the liquid line shake and then the pressure rises to start...condensor is on the roof.

sight glass is full, and the liquid line isn't really that warm or hot when running..

thoughts?
    Let's give nukes a chance.

If i do starting amps on any other wire than common it will O.L my meter most the time. Its a UEI meter and dont really know why. I considered starting a thread about it.

what is the supply voltage on start up?

my meter is a uei....i checked one leg off of a contractor 230 1 ph..

indy2000, i didn't check the start voltage..*gulp*

Assuming the voltage and start components are good and all the electrical connections, End-To-End, are clean and tight, the first thing I would want to know after that is: is there a pressure limiting TXV or a crankcase pressure regulator installed?

Can you start the box up warm and measure the amp draw? And if so; can you also trim the amps to FLA by throttling the suction valve?

Is there a high pressure control? If so; is it manual or auto reset? Maybe the condenser fan occasionally stops running?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    old customer asked me to look at a freezer that a competitor replaced a compressor on 1-1/2 years ago..

its been tripping a breaker for a while..i checked the pressures and the amp draw...its a 404 system, running pressure seem ok, lra is 109 and rla is 22, when its running it runs at 15 amp, but on start up it over loads my meter..

system pumps down ok on the t-stat. when the solenoid opens i can see the liquid line shake and then the pressure rises to start...condensor is on the roof.

sight glass is full, and the liquid line isn't really that warm or hot when running..

thoughts?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Single or three phase ?

the compressor is a scroll single phase 230 volt.
    no cpr.
    the only time i seen the fans shut down is when the compressor stops..no high psi switch unless i didn't see the little ones they use now..

breaker is 40 amp..

Could be overloading with no cpr or pressure limiting TXV. If its a outdoor unit in a cold ambient it would need some type of head pressure control. If the fan is delaying then there should be a fan cycle switch.

what's the cut in pressure set at?

Install a CPR and be done with it!

indy2000 cut in was real close to 20 psi..

thanks guys....

If supply power checks out, you may need to inspect/install starting components.