Thread: HVAC SWEATING

HVAC SWEATING

Florida house from 2005, Trane unit. Handler is in the garage mounted to the roof. The system is sweating and producing a lot of water. Air filter is new, I have flushed the system with a house from the outside, and have added bleach water to the drip pan. It is dripping water outside. I did notice that there is a screw or two missing from the bottom of the unit. and also the overflow sensor is sucking in air, not sure if that is normal. Any ideas or is it normal with the florida high heat to sweat like that?
    Name:  DSC00386.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  1.8 KBName:  DSC00388.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  2.0 KBName:  screw.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  1.9 KB

Anybody???

Is it sweating on the outside of the entire air handler or just in a specific spot? The insulation on the cabinent is usually very thin and the high humidity in a florida garage causes them to sweat easily, I have seen it many times. Is it possible you could wrap the air handler with insulation on the outside?

It is leaking in that one section where the duct work enters the handler, I circled the section in the first picture to show the moisture.

I have a problem with clicking on your pictures so I may not be seeing what I think I see. My thought is air leaks through the cabinet access panels and penetrations. You could have 58 degree supply air blowing through blower compartment and drawing in humid air from garage which will condense in blower compartment. The condensation drips from end of air handler which happens to be the low point. Try sealing up all leaks with mastic or caulk and seal access panels with tape. Just my thoughts but I see this problem regularly when our dewpoints are high.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-14-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Danae12, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Can't tell by picture. If coil is on negative side (heat pump) sucking air needs to be fixed and will stop water splashing.