+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R290 Superheat Chart

Post Likes

R290 Superheat Chart

Anyone know where I can find a good recommended SuperHeat table/chart for a generic residential capillary tube system (fixed orifice, 2 tons) running R290?

Post Likes
    Try Google and no smoking near it.

Quote Originally Posted by raulsteichen View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a good recommended SuperHeat table/chart for a generic residential capillary tube system (fixed orifice, 2 tons) running R290?

Post Likes
    What's your location?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Try Google and no smoking near it.
    Yeah, I tried that of course. If you can find it on Google please post a link.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    PT for R290.pdf
    There U go.
    Thanks, but I already had one of those. I was thinking of a chart that shows recommendations for superheat. I have a chart that gives recommended SH for R22 based on indoor temp, humidity, etc. But I can't find one for R290. I wonder if I could just use the same numbers considering that their properties are similar? Otherwise someone must have made a chart......but I can't find one.

Post Likes
    Again what's your location? If in the US read this
    http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/r22a.html

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Again what's your location? If in the US read this
    http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/r22a.html
    Thanks Marty, that's interesting. I guess they're still waiting for someone to pay up and jump through they're hoops in the USA Probably not a lot of companies lining up to pay the legal and research bill though, as there won't be much of an opportunity to recoup it with markups.

I work in various jurisdictions, but none that are beholden to the EPA. By the way, doesn't EPA stand for ENVIRONMENTAL Protection Agency? I'm not sure how restricting one particular use of a widely used consumer and industrial product (propane) would do anything to protect the environment. More likely they are protecting the current Freon market from collapse.

But anyway, I don't want to hijack my own thread. I'm just interested in finding a good R290/R22a/Propane SuperHeat chart.

Post Likes
    Its just like 22.

Post Likes

I work in various jurisdictions, but none that are beholden to the EPA. By the way, doesn't EPA stand for ENVIRONMENTAL Protection Agency? I'm not sure how restricting one particular use of a widely used consumer and industrial product (propane) would do anything to protect the environment. More likely they are protecting the current Freon market from collapse.
    Very true my friend! The all almighty EPA is nothing but a joke, a money making tool use by the big corporations. we are living in the Matrix here, everyone is indulging on the blue pill.

Post Likes
    does anyone remember OZ-12 back in the 80's for automotive A/C, showed a dummy lighting a cigarette and the car Exploding Just make sure you don't have a leak....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bob Juliano View Post
    does anyone remember OZ-12 back in the 80's for automotive A/C, showed a dummy lighting a cigarette and the car Exploding Just make sure you don't have a leak....
    It's okay. I have a propane stove in my kitchen that my wife uses, and even purposely light propane on fire sometimes that is spewing from an open valve when I want to solder pipes (torch) So I should be fine. I even saw a friend let his kid light a propane grill one time!

Post Likes
    Thanks, but I already had one of those. I was thinking of a chart that shows recommendations for superheat. I have a chart that gives recommended SH for R22 based on indoor temp, humidity, etc. But I can't find one for R290. I wonder if I could just use the same numbers considering that their properties are similar? Otherwise someone must have made a chart......but I can't find one.
    The superheat has nothing to do with the refrigerant and everything to do with the system operating conditions, as you said.

A superheat chart is a superheat chart is a superheat chart. Just use it.

In fact, circulating in the Pro section of this forum is a generic formula to compute target superheat given operating conditions. It doesn't take refrigerant type into account.

Get your post count up and become a Pro and someone will surely share it with you.

Post Likes
    You the Man !!

Post Likes
    It's okay. I have a propane stove in my kitchen that my wife uses, and even purposely light propane on fire sometimes that is spewing from an open valve when I want to solder pipes (torch) So I should be fine. I even saw a friend let his kid light a propane grill one time!

X2

like many others, my first impression of propane as a refrigerant was "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson". But now with a better understanding, I'm no longer afraid.

There is not a risk of fire inside a refrigeration system because a large amount of oxygen would be needed. The only danger i see is unbrazing a line under pressure, but refrigerant oil is also flammable, this is already a known and accepted risk.

The fuel/air mixture has to be just right in order to have combustion. This is easier said than done.

Considering the amounts of propane, I definitely agree that your propane stove is more dangerous.

Remember, Don't try this at home and always wear safety glasses

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by penderway View Post
    X2

like many others, my first impression of propane as a refrigerant was "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson". But now with a better understanding, I'm no longer afraid.

There is not a risk of fire inside a refrigeration system because a large amount of oxygen would be needed. The only danger i see is unbrazing a line under pressure, but refrigerant oil is also flammable, this is already a known and accepted risk.

The fuel/air mixture has to be just right in order to have combustion. This is easier said than done.

Considering the amounts of propane, I definitely agree that your propane stove is more dangerous.

Remember, Don't try this at home and always wear safety glasses
    Propane or natural gas line going inside buildings is some weak sauce pressure like 10" WC which is under *half* psig. In cold areas, sometimes propane has trouble keeping up enough pressure to supply the appliance demand.

If safety was no big deal, you can make this issue go away by simply feedine liquid line into the house and use the chimney to vaporize the propane just like it is done using the engine coolant on propane forklifts rather than relying on air to tank heat exchange. Immediate and sudden release of 2-3 lbs of liquid propane in one localized point is no biggie right?

While we're at it, why even run natural gas to equipment at 7 INCHES WC when you can skip the regulator and meter and feed directly to the appliance with a 1/8" line from distribution pressure at 300 psig? Look at those fat pipes on commercial gas meters. If they can simply bring gas indoors at 300 psig, they can get away with 3/8" line. Look at the size of liquid fed fuel line on a 400 hp automobile compared to that of a gas feeding a 400 hp natural gas generator.

Post Likes
    We make duct work as air tight as possible no. A odorless propane refrigerant leak in a evap sitting in your basement is a ticking time bomb for a unlucky serviceman and ask Hanna Storm about lighting a grill outside. Could you make a safe R-290 system ....... Yes
    Will we be safe ........ Probably going to here some horrible stories soon about how dangerous it is but never hear how R-290 was not the problem just like CO.

Post Likes

Propane

I have actual experience converting systems and using R290.

It's safe. But the biggest danger is a technician going on site and not knowing the system is running R290.

The thermal charismatics are very similar to R22 however the orifice size is way different.

it is more fluid than R22. You need a smaller piston or need to tweak a R22 TxV cap tube... Forget about it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in