Post Sizing heating system for intermittent heating

Hello,
    I am working for a municipality in British Columbia, Canada and we keep the building mostly at 10 degrees celsius (50 F), during most of the winter. I am looking at the possibility of installing a biomass boiler. However there are occasional times when the heat is turned up to 68 F. I am wondering would it be appropriated to design the system (including a propane peaking system) to meet the peak heat loss at 68 degrees or do I need to use an additional factor to account for heating the thermal mass of the building. The building is wood framed.

Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by thomascheney View Post
    Hello,
    I am working for a municipality in British Columbia, Canada and we keep the building mostly at 10 degrees celsius (50 F), during most of the winter. I am looking at the possibility of installing a biomass boiler. However there are occasional times when the heat is turned up to 68 F. I am wondering would it be appropriated to design the system (including a propane peaking system) to meet the peak heat loss at 68 degrees or do I need to use an additional factor to account for heating the thermal mass of the building. The building is wood framed.

Thank You.
    Wood framing is a usually low mass structure (not like stone, concrete, compacted earth, or brick) unless you're talking logs, but logs also have insulating value, so they are a bit of a different animal. If you are talking stick framed wood, then I don't think there will be much inertial lag there.

Even though you will have a propane peaking system, consider adding a buffer tank to even out load fluctuations, absorb any residual heat from the biomass boiler, and to help you achieve the higher 68 deg temperature goal more quickly even using a boiler just sized for the heat loss at 68.

Thank you, your advice is appreciated. I am thinking 5 gallons per 1000 btu for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by vangoghsear View Post
    Wood framing is a usually low mass structure (not like stone, concrete, compacted earth, or brick) unless you're talking logs, but logs also have insulating value, so they are a bit of a different animal. If you are talking stick framed wood, then I don't think there will be much inertial lag there.

Even though you will have a propane peaking system, consider adding a buffer tank to even out load fluctuations, absorb any residual heat from the biomass boiler, and to help you achieve the higher 68 deg temperature goal more quickly even using a boiler just sized for the heat loss at 68.

Quote Originally Posted by thomascheney View Post
    Thank you, your advice is appreciated. I am thinking 5 gallons per 1000 btu for storage.
    That should be good. What is your system capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by vangoghsear View Post
    That should be good. What is your system capacity?

There 4 propane furnaces 2 for sure are 125,000 btu\hr and the others look like they are the same size

The are three zones - one area served by two furnaces, and 2 served by 125,000 unit each

Thanks!