Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Trane gas pack isn't working

I am new here and had a question. I just had a 13 seer 2 1/2 ton Trane gas pack put in last Wednsday. It was unseasonably warm that day and once the men were done, they showed me how to use the digital thermostat, turning on the air and cooling the house down. Ran like a champ. Now today, it is pretty cool and we go to turn on the heat and nothing is happening, not even the air. We checked out the breakers, everythings fine there. I don't know if it's the thermostat (I had hoped I wouldn't have to take a class to operate it) or if something much more serious is involved. Of course, this happened on a Saturday and there is no one at the office who can talk to us or come out. Even the emergency on call guy is not taking our calls. The guys forgot to leave me the manuals to the thermostat and the gas pack so those will be sent to me next week. Any ideas?

Kind Regards,
    Chloe

the ...Service guy ..

won't return your calls ..???? on a New Installation

I'd be UNHAPPY

gas pack not working

We're trying to keep our cool (no pun intended), afterall, it is Saturday and the business is closed. My husband is more upset than I am. I researched long and hard about what system to buy and who to buy it from and feel confident about our choice. We replaced our Heil that we had for 27 years. Never had many problems with it. Hope the Trane works the same.

Chloe

Thumbs down

not returning your call after my company installed the unit whould result in a termination for that person on call
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Trane gas pack

First of all, you can buy the best system there is with the highest SEER ratings out there, and that piece of equipment isn't worth a hoot if it is not installed properly or the installer won't respond when a problem occurs. That being said, lets try to solve yours.. Does the blower operate when you switch the t-stat to "fan on" position? If not, you more than likely have a power problem (this can be line or contol voltage). If it does, then you have both line and contol voltage to the unit. Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Be sure to notify the office first thing Monday, they probably don't know about the on-call guy dodging calls.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

gas pack not working

Hi GregP,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I was told to leave the fan on auto--never mess with it--leave it on auto, however, I just went to the t-stat and put fan on 'on' like you sugest and it cranked right up. Warm air is blowing. Awesome. It's cold in here brother. So what, leave the fan on instead of auto? Also, the guy that installed it asked me did I want it to be on air then heat if it gets too cold. I said that'd be fine. Is it?
    Obviously it's error on our part but I still will contact the company Monday to have them come out and better explain things to me. Thanks so very much, and I will take you up on your offer on more advice.
    Kind Regards,
    Chloe

ps - What is your opinion on the clean air filtration sytems Tran sell for $x that they can just pop into the unit? We are serious dog lovers, plus we live in the sandhills, have 3 teenage sons and are serious gardners. All this adds up to misery for the allergy sufferers in the house. LMK your thoughts on it.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 03-18-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Trane gas pack

Glad you got the system going. Turning the fan to "on" was to verify that the system had power. If the system started working when you did that, there is probably something else going on. I would have the installer check it Monday.
    Air filtration and humidification are very important regarding your comfort. I always try to have my customers install a quality air cleaner and a humidifier. The electronic type air cleaners seem to work the best, and don't cause problems with air flow. Humidifiers add moisture to the air in the winter, and most customers are able to turn the t-stat down and still feel warm because the air is not dry. Leaving the fan in the on position is a matter of comfort. Good Luck!

Yah, You need to get those monkeys back out monday,If getting your system to operate in fan on "only'' you got problems.
    rick

Are you sure you have a gas pack? The heat coming on with fan "on" sounds more like electric heat on a gas thermostat. Another classic install mistake is not turning on the gas valve or gas shut off after the install, especially if it was a hot day.

Good Luck.

If it were me, I would take my spouse and go to a nice hotel and have a great weekend and dinner, then Monday, I would take the bill into the contractor and let him reimburse me since he is only planning on servicing my equipment on the weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by lolson View Post
    not returning your call after my company installed the unit whould result in a termination for that person on call
    Not all companies have techs on call, and shouldn't be looked down on because of it. But if they do, someone should call you back right away, new install or not.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    Not all companies have techs on call, and shouldn't be looked down on because of it. But if they do, someone should call you back right away, new install or not.
    WHAT ..???

your in the HVAC biz ....???

and have no " on call" staff ..??

if I was Chloe ...

and i don't mean this to slag other contractors

1) the unit should have been checked out Before they left the job

2) no return call from the service tech
    ..............................................is just too much

personally,
    i would give these people a gift certificate, to a Very Expensive restaurant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast