Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just when you think they can't get any dumber -

Customer calls me: "All the door wall doors are sweating water all over the floor and the freezer doors are frozen shut."

All of them? Did you check the circuit breaker? I labeled it for you.

All the breakers are on.

When did this problem start?

Yesterday.

When yesterday?

Right after the electricians left.

What were there electricians there for? How many times do I have to tell you to never let anyone else touch any of my equipment?

They installed new LED lighting in the cooler and the freezer.

And then all the doors started sweating and freezing?

Yes.

So I get over there and check for power and so forth for a while. The heater breaker wire has both power and an amp draw on it. Then I pull the wiring trough covers and find . . . . no wires in them. Empty.

Wth? How can that be? How would Anthony wire a door and frame without terminating in the trough? This makes no sense.

So then I poked my head up inside the box further and find all the door and frame wires neatly diked off on the forward side of the trough.

So I call the owner and get the electrician's number.

Why did you do this Mr. Electrician?

We're not electricians - we are sign guys. We just did the lighting. The door heaters have nothing to do with us.

Well; who connected the new LED lights to the heater circuit? Was that you or somebody else?

Oh! That was us - but that doesn't matter. We do that all the time and never have a problem.

Well; you do now. Do you want to come fix it or do you want me to?

You do it - we don't want to pay for it. We hardly made any money on that job as it is.

Did the customer pay you yet?

No; not yet.

What to make a small wager that they Never pay you?

They wouldn't do that.

I think they might - after they get my bill.

You're going to bill them?

I'm pretty sure my company is going to insist on it.

Wouldn't this be covered under the warranty?

Yes it would; the warranty . . . from you.

The LED lights are working, right?

Yes.

Well; then this has nothing to do with us. Those wires don't mean anything anyway. All we did was the LED lights. And you said they are working, right?

I guess you're right - I have to go now. Have a nice day.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I hope that one day he needs some HVACR work, and you get the job

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Well; one thing you might end up with is tracking a crazy wounded buck through the nastiest thickest briar patches he can find. <g>

PHM
    ------

[OUOTE] If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?[QUOTE]
    PHM
    --------

You have some of the best stories PHM. I would have disconnected their stuff, reconnected mine and called them back and said "hey jack@ss, your lights aren't working."

At least they didn't drill any holes in the frame or doors!

I just got to thinking...there were 2 freezers they recently retrofitted with LED lights where I work. An outside contractor came in and did the work. About 2 days later got the call for sweating doors and frozen freezer doors. They ended up putting in a occ sensor on the door so the heaters would only run when it saw movement. Really?

PHM... If it were me... I might take a few cell phone pics of the destruction they did... then call the boss at the elec co. After some explanation... and texting the pics to him... they probably will pay your fee to fix it.

Ya know... maybe you need to be installing the lights... Pitch the customer on the mess the cheap guy makes.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I like it when things like this happen...its good job security and you can charge a lesson fee.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Sounds just like what happened to me twice when roofers put a nail in the line set and then try to claim no liability.

Wonder if they pulled a permit for wiring in the lights. Probably no license for electrical wiring on the installers part. Maybe it should have been inspected by the AHJ. Hope you took pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    PHM... If it were me... I might take a few cell phone pics of the destruction they did... then call the boss at the elec co. After some explanation... and texting the pics to him... they probably will pay your fee to fix it.
    I would send him the pics, but I would collect directly from the customer and let the customer deal with him. The whole process should be pretty easy since the customer never paid for the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    You have some of the best stories PHM. I would have disconnected their stuff, reconnected mine and called them back and said "hey jack@ss, your lights aren't working."
    X2

Flock 'Em
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

I want to use all the right color wires (to match Anthony's original) so I'm not going back to fix it until tomorrow morning.

The LED installer has nothing to do with me - I'm just billing the customer and they can hassle it out with the installer.

I'll take a bunch of pictures tomorrow. My wonderful Samsung flip-phone has recently failed and I am cobbling along with an iphone and I'm sure it has a camera.

Oh wait: so then how do I get the pics from the iphone to somewhere useable? Maybe I better take the pics with an ipad - that way I can e-mail them to myself.
    PHM
    --------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast