Hey forum,
hope this dosnt fall into the no DIY rule as this compressor is not connected to the supply and sat rusting in the back yard of the warehouse.

So heres the story,
After a lightening storm one night the air compressor for our cool room stopped working so it was replaced with a new one and the technician said it was probably caused by the lightening.
So the insurance company said it was covered by the policy but after a 'electrical professional' came to inspect the unit he deemed the lightening couldn't have done the damage, appartently he came out looked at the unit carried out no tests and he could tell this. We have been told he has done a detailed report but we have not seen this yet.

Now after a bit of back and forth with the insurance company my boss has asked me if i can test the unit to see if lightening could have caused the failure of the unit. Now as you may have guessed I am not in the HVAC trade i am a coffee machine technician.

So i was wondering if i give all the information i have if someone could give there opinion if a lighting strike could have damaged the unit?

Because the unit is in the back yard and not connected to a supply I dont know what exactly what failed on the unit but my boss thinks the tech who fit new one said the motor had gone.

The unit,
Kirby KTH602
415v 3ph
6.89kw

No continuity motor winding and earth

Motor winding resistance,
1-2 = 8.1
1-3 = 8.1
2-3 = 1.9

Now from what ive read all three readings should be the same. So is this the cause of the motor failure? and is it possible to have been caused by lightening?

Thanks
Steve