Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carrier tripping internal breaker

Carrier mod# 38AKS016 ser# 0804F17661 Compressor=Carlyle mod# 06DH5370BC1200, ser# 1003J02170

Last week I was walking around the building with my IR temp gun checking supply temps when I discovered a system not cooling. Blower is running so I go outside and check the outdoor unit. It is the carrier listed above. I remove the panel and find the 77a internal breaker tripped. I reset it and the cond. fan started to run for a few seconds before it tripped again. I didn't have time to check it then, so I killed the disconnect and put the panel back on.

This morning I had time to check it out. I opened it back up suspecting a bad compressor. I connected my amp clamp, turned the disconnect back on and waited for time delay. When it tried to start I was reading 117a on the motor but it didn't sound like it was turning. After a few seconds the breaker tripped. I repeated this a couple times checking amps on the other 2 motor legs. I believe they read 102 and 91.

I killed the power and opened the terminal box at the compressor and ohmed the windings. All 3 read .4 ohms with no short to ground. Seems a little low to me but I didn't check specs. They did all read the same.

I am ready to condemn the compressor, but maybe I am missing something. Also, the oil eye is BLACK.

Any thoughts?

If you have the right voltage to the comp then it sounds like you're drawing locked rotor amps.. Is the comp 1ph or 3 ph?

It's 3 phase

Is this a part start motor or an across the line start?

try running it backwards for a bump to free it up

Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    Thats a good idea... Never thought of that....

Locked up

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Is this a part start motor or an across the line start?
    Not sure what you mean by that

Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    Can't hurt to try that but if it did free it up I don't think it would be a long term fix.

Well, after pricing a compressor, the powers that be decided not to repair this unit. We are suppose to be starting construction on a brand new facility in about a year and unless something is mission critical they don't want to spend the money. That makes 2 out of 10 systems that are out now on the main production floor. Hopefully we don't lose any more or it's gonna start getting HOT in there.

Quote Originally Posted by thelmuth View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that
    Does it have 2 contactors or just 1? It will have 6 lugs under the peckerhead instead of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Does it have 2 contactors or just 1? It will have 6 lugs under the peckerhead instead of 3.
    It does have 2 contactors. Seemed weird to me. It also has 2 additional terminals with wires attached at the compressor. I didn't trace them to find out where they go and didn't really find them on the diagram for the unit.

I find the diagram hard to understand because it has several different voltage diagrams on the same one with arrows to traces saying "460 v only" etc.

I'm not a carrier guru, but both of those contactors probably have to be locked in. We had one a year ago where the 2nd contactor got hung up and caused it to short to ground. Usually it'll engage one, then shortly after you'll hear the second one hit with a clear change in pitch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast