Question propylene glycol disposal

need to dump closed loop system treated with prop. glycol - floor drain? rules on this? where to find? in MA

Propylene glycol is generally non-toxic and much of it is even food-grade.

But I am a voice on the internet - better to call the maker and ask them what they suggest. They will know what the requirements are for their products.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by jcboston View Post
    need to dump closed loop system treated with prop. glycol - floor drain? rules on this? where to find? in MA
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Since posting I already have talked with the manufacturer of the glycol. They said it was ok to dump up to 300 gal into sewer. But wanted to hear from others.
    You make sense thanks Poodle Head

Quote Originally Posted by jcboston View Post
    Since posting I already have talked with the manufacturer of the glycol. They said it was ok to dump up to 300 gal into sewer. But wanted to hear from others.
    You make sense thanks Poodle Head
    I would also check with your local municipality to see if they've got regulations covering this.

Dumping several hundred gallons of Propylene Glycol could cause problems at a treatment plant or be considered "pollution" regardless of how "safe" it is.

Had to dump a closed loop a few years ago. Called and talk to water treatment plant. They had no issue as long as It wasn't over 200 gallons at a time. Took a couple of days.

The last time we had to do this I went to a drum recycler place and bought 50 gallon plastic drums for $10. each. I forget how many now but it was a large trailer load. Then we stored the brine, re-installed it, and then returned the drums for $4. each. Say it was 25 drums - so $350. for "drum rental fee". <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I have had to call our water treatment plant about this too. They said what others here have, that we could but only a couple hundred gallons a day so as not to foul their microbiological processes that break down the sewage there.

we had to drain two 250hp boilers @north Attleboro,state of mass considers straight boiler water as a pollutant thanks to barney frank,so glycol is also considered toxic and must be documented,,,,,,good luck,,,the plastic barrel deal works good.