Dehumidifier - Duct layout?

Hi All,
    We just moved to a new house a year ago and I have been monitoring the Temp & Humidity.
    Just to give some background info, we are in the Boston area.
    The heating system is SlantFin baseboard hot water for both the basement and 1st floor
    The 1st floor also have a High Velocity AC.

Bottom line, Temperature & Humidity are fine upstairs thanks to Heat & AC but the basement is really humid in the summer. Basically 6 months per year.

While I could buy some small $200 dehumidifier for downstairs and empty them all the time, i would prefer a nicer & more permanent solution.

I am thinking of putting the Aprilaire 1830 in a standalone configuration (figure 17 page 11)
    http://www.achooallergy.com/user_man...all-manual.pdf

I will be ducting it the way describe in the sketch below. The idea is to have the supply in the bedroom and the return in the family room. I can easily hide the duct since everything will be in the utility room. The sqft in the basement is 800 - 900 sq ft.

So here are my questions.

Would the described duct layout be good enough to circulate the air in the basement and properly dehumidify the basement?
    In the bedroom. Should I put the supply 1 foot from the ground or 1 foot from the ceiling?

FYI:
    I can't add duct from the AC to the basement
    I can't add ductless AC downstairs
    This would be the most cost effective solution ~ $1400...

Thank you all for your help.
    Matt

Name:  dehumidifer.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  30.9 KB

I would split the dehu supply to the bedroom and open part with a single return from the open part to the dehumidifier. For the sake of good indoor air quality include a 6" fresh air in let to the dehu return. The fresh air to an isolate area like this during mild weather is very low.
    Also, consider other brands like the Ultra-Aire/Santa Fe units which have better filters and are the grand daddys in the industry. They also are one of the sponsors of this site and me. But the brand work.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    I would split the dehu supply to the bedroom and open part with a single return from the open part to the dehumidifier. For the sake of good indoor air quality include a 6" fresh air in let to the dehu return. The fresh air to an isolate area like this during mild weather is very low.
    Also, consider other brands like the Ultra-Aire/Santa Fe units which have better filters and are the grand daddys in the industry. They also are one of the sponsors of this site and me. But the brand work.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Hi,
    Thanks for your input!

If I split the supply, I should do 6 inch duct correct?

I thought about Santa Fe at first (Compact2) which has great reviews but I thought Aprilaire was the same company? Also, the reason I decided against the Santa Fe is because you don't have a remote thermostat nor any documentation on Fresh Air Intake.

Is there any doc on how to wire the fresh air intake and part numbers ? (for both the damper and outdoor thermostat that goes with it)?

Thanks again,
    Matt

Alright. I just realized I was confused between aprilaire and Ultra Aire

I will take a look at the Ultra-Aire 70H and see if I can find some answers by myself before bugging every body.

Alright. Everything seems straight forward! I think I am all set.
    Thanks for your help!

Ultra-Aire is the remote control with duct collars model. The Santa Fe is the do it yourself version. The Ultra-Aire is the first class unit with vent control, DEH3000. You may not need the remote sensor because the unit is in the next room.
    More money but best type of control for timed fresh air control and remote %RH.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Quote Originally Posted by mfourcade View Post
    Hi All,
    We just moved to a new house a year ago and I have been monitoring the Temp & Humidity.
    Just to give some background info, we are in the Boston area.
    The heating system is SlantFin baseboard hot water for both the basement and 1st floor
    The 1st floor also have a High Velocity AC.

Bottom line, Temperature & Humidity are fine upstairs thanks to Heat & AC but the basement is really humid in the summer. Basically 6 months per year.

While I could buy some small $200 dehumidifier for downstairs and empty them all the time, i would prefer a nicer & more permanent solution.

I am thinking of putting the Aprilaire 1830 in a standalone configuration (figure 17 page 11)
    http://www.achooallergy.com/user_man...all-manual.pdf

I will be ducting it the way describe in the sketch below. The idea is to have the supply in the bedroom and the return in the family room. I can easily hide the duct since everything will be in the utility room. The sqft in the basement is 800 - 900 sq ft.

So here are my questions.

Would the described duct layout be good enough to circulate the air in the basement and properly dehumidify the basement?
    In the bedroom. Should I put the supply 1 foot from the ground or 1 foot from the ceiling?

FYI:
    I can't add duct from the AC to the basement
    I can't add ductless AC downstairs
    This would be the most cost effective solution ~ $1400...

Thank you all for your help.
    Matt

Name:  dehumidifer.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  30.9 KB
    I did not see the drawing until now. This will work. The room with supply side of the dehu will be warmer by 3-4^F. Usually this desired as most basements are cool. Warming also decreases the amount of moisture that must be removed to maintain <55%RH. If the bedroom gets warm, the supply of the dehu could be reversed. Also, remote sensing may not be needed because of the location of the dehu. It is in center room which is going to indicate the overall %RH of the basement.

Sorry about the confusion. Still like the idea of a damperaed 6" fresh air return from outside. A small amount 24/7 will make the basement the best space in the home. A small amount fresh air will not increase the conditioning cost very much.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB