Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I just fill it in?

I have a job I have to do tomorrow. A wires insulation got rubbed away and the bare wire hit the suction line causing a pin hole. Normally I like to cut it out and put in a coupling. But this is in a tight spot on a bit of a curve. It looks like it would be pretty easy to just braze over the pin hole. Its even slightly recessed due to the shorting of the wire. It looks like I could build up the solder real nice. What do you think?

I've done that before, its pretty easy especially with a small pin hole. Get the surface clean, heat the area, and fill it in with some silfos 15.

Yep fill it in.... I've filled 3/8" holes before in condenser coils before you'll be fine.

Yup
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Glad to see that this is an acceptable method. Just did the exact same thing to a pin hole in a liquid line 2 weeks ago. Makes me feel better about it lol

Yes, you could cross the Grand Canyon with 15% silfos

Quote Originally Posted by refrepairman View Post
    Yes, you could cross the Grand Canyon with 15% silfos
    true statement, im embarrassed to admit to what i have filled in with 15%. i have had 90 degree joints blow apart, never seen one fail at the braze joint. i did this exact repair in about 2 hours on friday. braze it then i like to build up a good puddle and when available i like to do a solid ring of solider around the pipe, then its holding onto it self not the copper.

Quote Originally Posted by AYservicetech View Post
    Glad to see that this is an acceptable method. Just did the exact same thing to a pin hole in a liquid line 2 weeks ago. Makes me feel better about it lol
    Wouldn't say its acceptable. But if someone says they have never done it, they are lieing to you.

Quote Originally Posted by creed View Post
    Wouldn't say its acceptable. But if someone says they have never done it, they are lieing to you.

Lol true enough.. I guess acceptable wouldn't be the word to use... But none the less.. I agree that everyone has done it

I don't see why filling a pin hole with silfos isn't acceptable. I have come across many Carrier splits they strapped compressor leads directly to suction line right at the bend and the vibration caused a short and blew a hole. Every one of them I fixed this way with no adverse effects. I did a better job than the factory because I put a piece of pipe insulation between so it wouldn't do it again.

Why not? Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DFanatic View Post
    I don't see why filling a pin hole with silfos isn't acceptable. I have come across many Carrier splits they strapped compressor leads directly to suction line right at the bend and the vibration caused a short and blew a hole. Every one of them I fixed this way with no adverse effects. I did a better job than the factory because I put a piece of pipe insulation between so it wouldn't do it again.
    It can cause a restriction..

You would have to be terrible at brazing to cause a restriction filling a pin hole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast