Thread: Lennox Pulse Blower?

Post Likes

Lennox Pulse Blower?

Someone told me to replace the Blower Wheel on a Lennox Pulse Furnace, you have to drill out the spot welds on the Blower Assembly to get the Blower Wheel out.

Could someone please verify this? On my ComfortMaker, there is removable plate on the bottom of the Blower Assembly.

Can't imagine Lennox wouldn't do the same.......

Thanks in advance,
    Phil

Post Likes
    It's been a while since I removed a blower wheel from a Pulse furnace, but I have worked on all models of them, and none of them came from the factory with spot welds that need to be drilled out to get the wheel out of the housing.

Post Likes
    Ditto.
    Was this some guy on the internet?
    I worked for the Lennox dealer for 13 years and I still find a Puse furnace in use. The replacing of a blower wheel is no different than other furnaces.

BUT, the Pulse is obsolete and no longer supported by Lennox. The design is primitive by today's standards. It's time you bought a new furnace. In fact it's overdue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Ditto.
    Was this some guy on the internet?
    I worked for the Lennox dealer for 13 years and I still find a Puse furnace in use. The replacing of a blower wheel is no different than other furnaces.

BUT, the Pulse is obsolete and no longer supported by Lennox. The design is primitive by today's standards. It's time you bought a new furnace. In fact it's overdue.
    I got it out today..... you're right, no difference.
    Believe it or not, the person who told me you had to drill the spot welds was a friend of mine who's an operating engineer at a large grocery store chain.

BTW, not my furnace; my mother-in-law's. Yes she needs a new system but it's not in her budget just yet.

Thanks again,
    Phil

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Ditto.

While this is true, why is it that people push the replacement of a still functional and safe(HX pressure tested) working unit?

It is still among the most efficient.
    Many parts are still available.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    While this is true, why is it that people push the replacement of a still functional and safe(HX pressure tested) working unit?

It is still among the most efficient.
    Many parts are still available.
    Some parts are still available, but some are not. If the HX has been properly tested, and continues to be tested every 2 years, and passes, that's great. While the pulse was ahead if its time, chances are its not operating with the same efficiency it once was. It's in the owners best interest that you at least recommend replacing the pulse, at a certain point, you are not doing them any favours by limping along a piece of equipment past its expected life.

If the pulse was an old VW, it would have gone to the scrap yard a long time ago...

Post Likes
    For right now, the old Lennox Pulse is only going to be used as an air handler for A/C. My mother-in-law will have a whole new system before the cold season sets in; even if I have to pay for it myself.

Thanks again guys......heading out to pick up the blower wheel this morning, hopefully they'll have one on the shelf.

Phil

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 06-10-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wings View Post
    It seems everyone is so fast to dish the Pulse, I would just about guaranty the new one you replace it with won't last half as long. Yes, get it pressure tested, but it was built with some metal.
    If it was my house, I %100 agree. You do, however owe it to the HO to inform them that their furnace is no longer longer supported by Lennox, and recommend a replacement. Note I said recommend not push or force, just recommend. A furnace like that may have many great years left on it, it may also become a money pit tomorrow, and convincing somebody to hang onto a money pit, is not in the best interest if the HO.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 06-10-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philossifer View Post
    For right now, the old Lennox Pulse is only going to be used as an air handler for A/C. My mother-in-law will have a whole new system before the cold season sets in; even if I have to pay for it myself.

Thanks again guys......heading out to pick up the blower wheel this morning, hopefully they'll have one on the shelf.

Phil
    Phil,

I would start looking into replacement now and not wait until you need it.

Do this for a couple reasons; one, there may be incentives now that may not be available later(and I mean from Lennox if you replace it with a Lennox) and two, you have time to make an informed decision without the need of necessity in the moment.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wings View Post
    It seems everyone is so fast to dish the Pulse, I would just about guaranty the new one you replace it with won't last half as long. Yes, get it pressure tested, but it was built with some metal.
    The furnace may be built with some metal, but the blower wheel is flimsy at best. The replacement I picked up is made of heavy galvanized sheet metal while the one I pulled out was pretty thin.

The problem with the old blower wheel is in the hub. The hub is made of two pieces of thin steel spot welded together; a couple of the welds broke loose and the metal hub started to separate, making the wheel unbalanced and wobbly. On the replacement, the hub is one thick, solid piece of metal.....

Phil

Post Likes
    2wings

Post Likes
    Just wanted to get back and thank the pro's here for their suggestions and information on my mother-in-laws furnace. I got the blower back in and running; and we're also setting up appointments with some local heating and cooling companies for quotes on a new system.

I found out the HX in this unit was replaced under warranty, that was probably many years ago and I don't think it's been inspected since.

Thanks again guys!
    Phil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in