Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Venthood cleaning

I think I'm loosing money on a regular basis here, I just posted a response to a thread on the wall of shame or fame thread I don't remember which but it started me thinking...WHY DON'T I CLEAN THESE THINGS?

What is afterall involved in the cleaning of these...turn off power, remove from curb, spray down with degreaser (what would you use?), and good hot water at the very least.

Lets hear your opinions, solutions or method currently in use.

Thanks,

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

You could not pay me enough to do that work. I do a LOT of big restaurants.
    The hood cleaning guys wear rain coats, use a steam jenny with LONG lines. Not only the fans and hood have to be cleaned, but also the exhaust ducts have to be cleaned. One of my custumers pre cooks 90 lbs of bacon a day on his grille. You know how much grease that generates.
    We install the hoods and welded ducts and MUA units. No cleaning for this guy. LOL
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

I agree with Ray. Used to help the cleaning crew when work was slow. They cleaned the hoods for a major Pizza chain. All work done at night. Man was it nasty.

Not enough money in the world would get me to do it full time. The only time we work on them now is when there down...motor or belt.

Well I am doing the maintenance to all the Sonics in my area and they are nasty! I don't think the crews are cleaning them or else they are not being called out for the cleanings. I usually just do the motor/belt thing and occasional electircal repair when needed but I am really tired of having to knock off 20# of grease to get to the stupid things!

I am thinking of including it in my spring and fall cleaning schedule along with the condenser cleanings.

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

We have a Co. Come in at night 2 times a year at the hospital I work at. Guys do a great job. I'm not sure what they use but it's pretty potent.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

why

why would you want to earn a living doing hood / fan cleaning when we already make a good living repairing the appliance, I do refrigeration and can't keep up with our work load as it is (3 techs and myself, 4th does paper work part time ) so why cross over and take on another line of work that pays less that what we can earn in our trade?
    hem

Dirty hoods and exaust fans should generate exponentially more money than any refrigeration fix.
    Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Grease cutter

I use to use this great stuff back in the early 70's to clean the hoods and grills. You had to wear gloves because it would eat your skin off. It had TCE in it. It's illegal now.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

I have thought about adding it as a service too. There is a huge market for hood cleaning. There's even a school in Texas I think, 1 week course and you get certified. But like everyone else had said, the working conditions suck.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    I have thought about adding it as a service too. There is a huge market for hood cleaning. There's even a school in Texas I think, 1 week course and you get certified. But like everyone else had said, the working conditions suck.
    Thats why God made subcontractors.

Nice Website there Smurphy.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    Thats why God made subcontractors.

Nice Website there Smurphy.

Thanks
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

The company that came and cleaned our hoods twice a year would blow out all the pilot lights on everything, cover everything in plastic, get all suited up, climb up on the roof with some potent degreaser and a big pressure washer.... I wasnt around when they would clean so I couldnt tell you where all the dirty water went...

After they were done, they cleaned everything up inside and relit all the pilots, and when they left, the only way you could tell they were there was that the hood panels were clean...

One thing I know you do have to watch out for is the fusible links in the fire suppression... Knock one of those loose and you'll really have a mess to clean up...

Quote Originally Posted by stebs View Post
    The company that came and cleaned our hoods twice a year would blow out all the pilot lights on everything, cover everything in plastic, get all suited up, climb up on the roof with some potent degreaser and a big pressure washer.... I wasnt around when they would clean so I couldnt tell you where all the dirty water went...

After they were done, they cleaned everything up inside and relit all the pilots, and when they left, the only way you could tell they were there was that the hood panels were clean...

One thing I know you do have to watch out for is the fusible links in the fire suppression... Knock one of those loose and you'll really have a mess to clean up...
    Like this................

Some Talk, Some Do
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast