Changed career path.(Advice needed)

I have worked for a restaurant owner operator for 5 years now straight out of school(if it broke in his 8 stores I fixed it). I have done some side work on residential units before. I am confident in my work. The only think I'm a little shaky about is my customer service skills. I am used to Coming to a location and doing my job with little to no needed interaction with the managers or crew members. I'm not saying I am antisocial, far from it. Ive just never had to explain my Diagnosis to any one other than the boss. To sum this post up how can I provide my new clients the best service possible?

I would say what ever u fix explain it that's customer service jus as how u explain to ur boss

I learned the hard way that it is better to dumb down the diagnosis for the general public. Like if the compressor burns out just say "a bad compressor" and leave out things like "improper vacuum, phosgene gasses, and open, grounded, or shorted. Talking too much to the customer can lead to problems IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by rhumbard View Post
    I have worked for a restaurant owner operator for 5 years now straight out of school(if it broke in his 8 stores I fixed it). I have done some side work on residential units before. I am confident in my work. The only think I'm a little shaky about is my customer service skills. I am used to Coming to a location and doing my job with little to no needed interaction with the managers or crew members. I'm not saying I am antisocial, far from it. Ive just never had to explain my Diagnosis to any one other than the boss. To sum this post up how can I provide my new clients the best service possible?
    You've been doing restaurant work for 5 years and everybody leaves you alone, and no one asks a million questions. I usually have people breathing down by neck asking a million questions, and a 21 year old assistant manager telling me his ice machine has to be working right now.

Next time you go somewhere, try interacting with the manager. It sounds like you don't have to very much now, but try it out, it would be good practice.

Just remember not to say the wrong thing. If you tell a 20 year old assistant restaurant manager that you found a refrigerant leak, they may freak out and want to evacuate the building. I'm not joking, that happened to me once. You have to effectively communicate things to people, in a way they understand, without over complicating things.