Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Finding breakers in stores

I'm wondering for you market vets out there, if you're new to a store and can't find a breaker (evap motor replacement, etc.) and don't have all day to hunt around to 10 different panels, what do you do? I was recently told to either follow the wire to a j box and disconnect there, or...ground the hot wire. I'm a little reluctant to ground a hot wire for a lot of reasons, mostly because if the breaker that serves the circuit in quesiton fails, I may take out that whole sub panel...or worse. But I'm just wondering what you vets do in this case.
    Thanks.

Depending on the circumstance, I'll disconnect a wire at the junction box or I'll just work hot.

I know that the OSHA/Safety guys will call me out for unsafe practices and all sorts of other stuff, but somehow, I manage.

I'll usually glove up with a thin, rubberized glove and do what needs to be done.

Most times, with a circuit tracer, I can pin down a breaker pretty quick.

2nd option, disconnect at the nearest junction box, do the job and reconnect.

3rd option, glove up and do what needs to be done. This only happens once or twice a year. I always where electrical rated work gloves in this situation.

I currently use a Class 1 glove if I have to work hot.
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

touch the hot wire to the ground wire and then take a look for a breaker in the "middle" position hahah
    j/k
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Just git er dun! the ice creams melting!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeySq View Post
    touch the hot wire to the ground wire and then take a look for a breaker in the "middle" position hahah
    j/k
    I did that once and could not find the panel for an hour. It was drywalled over during a reno.....

Quote Originally Posted by Servicerunner View Post
    or...ground the hot wire...
    Nope... In 35 years, never done it and never will...intentionally, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Depending on the circumstance, I'll disconnect a wire at the junction box or I'll just work hot.

I know that the OSHA/Safety guys will call me out for unsafe practices and all sorts of other stuff, but somehow, I manage.

I'll usually glove up with a thin, rubberized glove and do what needs to be done.
    With that, doing so with no possible distractions, with surgical precision AND after I'm assured that I'm at no risk. Even still, I've had a remote "few" occasions when I told them "NO" and told them to call an electrician to reconcile their electrical mess. I KNOW electricity well, but I'm not a licensed electrician and that hardwired connection and beyond becomes their area. You might have to spend more time awaiting one, but work that out with the customer beforehand. Or...agree to come back later once an electrician has visited and resolved the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

X2
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

That happens but not as often as J boxes get buried. I just work it hot, although I have shorted to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    I did that once and could not find the panel for an hour. It was drywalled over during a reno.....

Shorting to ground can get interesting fast. Ive taken out entire sub panels and in one case put an entire building dark. Now i opt for the electrition route and let him take the risk. Im to old to take chances now and its not my ice cream melting.

My frustration level goes thru the roof when something like that happens. I'm with everyone else...do what you gotta do, the safest way you feel you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    My frustration level goes thru the roof when something like that happens. I'm with everyone else...do what you gotta do, the safest way you feel you can do it.
    Yup!

Shorting 460 to ground is exciting.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast