Confused Duravent Pro Pipe/Quadrafire

I recently installed a Quadrafire Castille Insert. I framed around the unit. I am using the new Duravent Pellet Pro pipe (Double walled, 3 " pipe, 1" to combustibles. I have a vertical rise of 5 1/2 feet into a 90 then a 1 foot section into a 45, then 6 feet horizontally to the outside, equivalent pipe distance of 18 1/4 feet). The pellet insert seems to be operating properly as per the instructions in the manual. I understand the quick smoky fire at ignition. This new pipe is supposed to be airtight and no silicone required at the joints. However, I am getting smoke coming out of the cavity between the inner liner and the outer at the stove outlet to vent pipe. I have put two rows of 3/8 beads of silicone where the pipe connects to the stove and have sealed most of the joints in the pipe run. Specially, the elbows and horizontal joints. Again, the smoke comes from the 1/4" cavity and the outside liner,at the stove location. But, it's not the joint to the stove itself. . Any ideas?

what 1/4" cavity? The smoke is coming out of the stove? Or the vent pipe?

The smoke comes out of the pipe. There is a 1/4 air space between the inner and outer liner. This air space is what allows the pipe to be listed as 1" to combustibles. Therefore, the smoke that I refered to is coming out of this space ( very little at start-up). I can't sealed it since the air between the two pipes has to be free flowing for cooling. I have noticed that the smoke comes out, not so much when there is smoke in the stove chamber at start up, but when it's blown thru the pipe. The outside termination cap covers both inner and outer liner. I am wondering if it's sucking air from the outside and since it's very smoking at this point, it's somehow making its way back to the beginning of the pipe run.

Smile

This is cut and pasted from the manual. This pipe is made just like B-vent with static air insulation. If you are getting leaks, take it back. Pellet stoves vent under positive pressure. If you are getting smoke, you can be getting carbon monoxide in addition to the odors. Before removing it, take pics showing the smoke leakage.

HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the info! I ended up using high-temp silicone to seal all the joints. Although Duravent states that no sealant is required (but can be used), I could not get a perfect seal without the silicone. It's a great idea but I think that the old rope pipe gasket may still be better. However, the locking pipe does eliminate the need for screws. Also, the fact that this pipe is rated at 1" to combustibles, makes it a good choice where clearance is a problem.

Anyway, Quadrafire recomends the use of silicone at each joint. I've always heard to follow the stove's manufacturers instructions!