Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I do have some R-12 somewhere I think (in an aluminum cylinder <g>) and it is an R-12 compressor - but I put the compressor together with Mobil Arctic 22 CC oil and I'm going to charge it with R-414. My thought was that the 414 will play nice with the POE oil and if I ever need to add refrigerant away from my shop I can use 134 from any auto parts store.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    you putting 409 in this thing , or did you find some r12 laying around

or propane ....
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

the only thing with going to r134 is "some" of the old condensers cannot remove the heat very well because they are tube and fin , making head pressure high.

Nowadays cars come with parallel flow , just like a radiator , much better

I've been known to either make my own condenser from a junkyard , or add a big ol electric fan

I do have dual electric fans staged on the coils but I have no idea (well; very little idea) of what specifics I am looking for with automotive A/C. But with 414 the sight glass cleared up at about 170 lbs. and it cools well. I meant to check the SSH but instead I set up my new Beltronic Pro500 to test how the cooling works at 100+ mph. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    the only thing with going to r134 is "some" of the old condensers cannot remove the heat very well because they are tube and fin , making head pressure high.

Nowadays cars come with parallel flow , just like a radiator , much better

I've been known to either make my own condenser from a junkyard , or add a big ol electric fan
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

How long to bake a drier dry ?

I have seen shaft seals in automotive compressors leak in a standing pressure test above 110 psi... I read an article years ago published by Tecumseh for their automotive compressors that recommend pressure testing at no higher than 100 psi..

170 psi ?

sounds like you're good to go , no overheating with them numbers !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12