Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long to bake a drier dry ?

If I put a drier in the oven (it's about the size of a 163) how long do you imagine it would take to cook any moisture out of it?

PHM
    -----
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

lol buy a new one would be quicker

ASSUMING that the desiccant can actually be reactivated then 6 hours at 300 degrees F would be enough to do it.

The dryers we typically use in refrigeration systems can't be reactivated.

I would would buy one in a heartbeat if I could. It's for an old car.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech1977 View Post
    lol buy a new one would be quicker
    PHM
    --------

Maybe heat it with a torch ?

Think it would be better / faster to re-install it, put the pump on, and then heat the shell with a torch while it's under a high vacuum?

BTW: As much as I love bourbon and orange juice - I'm here to tell you: bourbon and mango juice is a serious waste of even cheap bourbon.

PHM
    ------
    PHM
    --------

PHM,
    A past mutual aquaintance of ours, Ed Cook, once told me how he heated drier cores in the oven overnight with good success. The trick is low heat, like around 200-250 Deg F. Also, weigh each one, before and after with a good scale, and you'll realize how much moisture has been released.

Quote Originally Posted by cmclifton View Post
    ASSUMING that the desiccant can actually be reactivated then 6 hours at 300 degrees F would be enough to do it.

The dryers we typically use in refrigeration systems can't be reactivated.
    I remember being taught to cut out dryers instead of unbrazing due to releasing the moisture. Maybe by definition, you can't "reactivate" a dryer, but was I wrongly informed?

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Think it would be better / faster to re-install it, put the pump on, and then heat the shell with a torch while it's under a high vacuum?

BTW: As much as I love bourbon and orange juice - I'm here to tell you: bourbon and mango juice is a serious waste of even cheap bourbon.

PHM
    ------
    Use a heat gun...safer and less chance of ruining the paint, and thanks I will heed the warning about mango juice

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Ed Cook - there's not many like him. I miss all those guys.

Sadly I did not weigh before baking but I just picked the unit out of the oven and the weight reduction is obvious just by feel: it's quite a difference. I originally heated at 175 and then increased to 200 and then 240.

I would have to make something to seal it to pump down so maybe I will now try installing and evacuating while heating it in place.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    PHM,
    A past mutual aquaintance of ours, Ed Cook, once told me how he heated drier cores in the oven overnight with good success. The trick is low heat, like around 200-250 Deg F. Also, weigh each one, before and after with a good scale, and you'll realize how much moisture has been released.
    PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    PHM,
    So... A molecular sieve really can be reactivated?

why not evacuate it? A heat lamp and a vacuum pump for a couple of hours should do the trick.

if they could be dried in anyway than putting the vacuum pump on it for 24hrs would do the same u'd think.

Last night after baking the drier for a few hours at 240 F. I put the system back together, leak checked at about 200 lbs, and found nothing - but in an hour the test pressure was 125 lbs. I never found a leak site so I put a fresh pump on the system and a heat lamp on the compressor, and also one on the drier, and called it a night. Late this morning it would hold 2500 so I'm calmly baffled. Could the compressor shaft seal leak out but not in?

I have to go buy some bolts and then figure out where a single yellow wire is supposed to go but after that I'll fire it up and see how it looks.

PHM
    ------
    PHM
    --------

you putting 409 in this thing , or did you find some r12 laying around

or propane ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast