+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fieldpiece sman 3 clamps

Post Likes

Fieldpiece sman 3 clamps

Ok anyone using a different make on their Sman. My 4th and last clamp broke yesterday. Attached to a 3/4 suction line. Went in house and came out to find it in 2 pieces.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ptemko View Post
    Ok anyone using a different make on their Sman. My 4th and last clamp broke yesterday. Attached to a 3/4 suction line. Went in house and came out to find it in 2 pieces.
    Ptemko,

We had a bad batch of plastic two years ago now that had this problem. We've literally haven't received any back with this problem since we discovered the bad plastic and fixed the problem. Send me your address and i'll send you two at no charge.

Post Likes
    Thanks Russell. That is great customer service.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ptemko View Post
    Thanks Russell. That is great customer service.
    Doesn't get any better. Hard to find a company that stands behind their product much less one that monitors web forums and tracks down people having issues to solve! I don't even look for any other brand to buy anymore.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    I use the same clamp with my Fluke 16 and it has a loose connection in the plug somewhere. Less than 6 months old. Still better than the Fluke pipe clamp though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post
    Doesn't get any better. Hard to find a company that stands behind their product much less one that monitors web forums and tracks down people having issues to solve! I don't even look for any other brand to buy anymore.
    Ditto. The guys here from Fieldpiece are the best!

Post Likes

Fieldpiece Clamps

I had one "explode" in my hand a week ago. After looking at the other clamp I discovered it was actually broken on one side also at the rivet hole. I called Fieldpiece and was told they were shipping me out two new ones. Today the other clamp "exploded" in a similar manner. Problem is now I have no clamps because I have not yet received the replacements; taping on a bead is such a pain. I have a Fluke 80PK8 clamp but I fear I'll damage it using it with my gauges because at $150+ I have always handled it with extreme care and use it only for precision measurements when required. I'm thinking about buying a couple of those Craftsman $30 (82380) clamps to try out if these new Fieldpiece clamps break.
    I'm told Fieldpiece has corrected the problem with the plastic, which seems brittle and the spring seems way too strong! Now if only they would fix the problem with the wire breaking at the plug caused by allowing the wires to sag when you clip them on the "ears". A right angle plug would be nice, or even a K type right angle adapter to allow the wire to hang straight down rather than bend. Still love the Fieldpiece gauges. I had Refco Digimons, replaced 3 times due to problems before warranty ran out. Then I got Testo 550s, replaced 2 times under warranty before warranty ran out. This time of year in Texas on Gulf Coast I'm hooking up to 5,6,7,8 or more systems a day and it's hard on stuff.

Post Likes
    I've had my SMAN3's for a little over a year and have had the same exact problems with clamps. Now I've gone through both clamps and trying to tape them on is not only getting old but now just not efficient. Love the product but didn't think I would have gone through the clamps that quick.

Post Likes
    Why doesn't someone use a stamped aluminum clamp. I had testo 550, 1250 (broke wire) getting kinda old ***king with these clamps.

Post Likes
    We did have a bad batch of plastic go through about a year and a half ago. We figured out it was and how to test for it and haven't had new ones returned for crack issues. We did our best to get them out of the field but many slipped through. I can send Clamps out to anyone with issues. PM me with your address and how many you need.

Post Likes
    I was skeptical when I first forked out the money for my sman3, after some minor problems and feildpiece sending me the replacement parts they seem to be fine so i bought another set and got rid of my old brand x set once and for all.And the company is really responsive with problems,

Post Likes
    Oh me me...can I have a set too!!?? just kidding, I guess I got lucky, bought mine around that time, and haven't had any problems (fingers crossed).....got one large and one small.

Post Likes
    I had two sets of clamps break on me. One was a year or so ago. And one last week.
    Just inferior product / poor design on the clamp for the price they are sold for IMO

but love all the other fieldpiece products i own a sc77 meter 5 years old and not a lick of trouble, sdp2, hg3, and my FP manometer ,

the clamps are the only reason i have not bit the bullet on the sman4s. but i would love to be able to sync it to my hg3.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klee7013 View Post
    I had two sets of clamps break on me. One was a year or so ago. And one last week.
    Just inferior product / poor design on the clamp for the price they are sold for IMO

but love all the other fieldpiece products i own a sc77 meter 5 years old and not a lick of trouble, sdp2, hg3, and my FP manometer ,

the clamps are the only reason i have not bit the bullet on the sman4s. but i would love to be able to sync it to my hg3.
    We did have a bad batch of plastic and the one that broke last week likely was built over a year ago. We have had newer ones come back cracked. PM me your address and I'll ship you some at no charge so you can try them out again

Post Likes
    I have gone through 4 clamps with my SMAN3s, just threw the pieces in the garbage and bought some cheap clamps from Home Depot and rigged the thermocouple to them. They may not last long either, but at least they don't cost some much when they break. Looking at some metal wood clamps to maybe build up using pieces of scrap copper to mount the thermocouple to, if it works I will post some pictures.

Post Likes
    After I tripped on the wire of one and broke the clamp in the other,
    I took the wire from the clamp that broke and put it on the clamp with the wire that broke.
    but be careful the wire comes off the metal piece in a heartbeat.
    Hope I live long enough to get me a wireless sensor set.
    Just grab the line with one hand and your testicle with the other like we had to back in the day.
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two

Post Likes
    A big thumbs up to Russell and the guys and gals at Fieldpiece. Talked to Russell about my clamps and received new ones in the mail in a few days. Once again, Fieldpiece customer service is second to none. Thanks.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Russell, but James and Jeremy are taking care of me! One of my clamps quit working after a few weeks(i even keep them in a separate zippered pouch to avoid breaking them), but James and Jeremy to the rescue!

Post Likes
    I must reply and brag on the Fieldpiece crew again. I just found a box with a new SMAN3 and clamps that one of my kids brought in and opened and didn't even tell me. I am not sure how long it has been here. An amazing surprise, though I did know they were going to take care of the clamp issue.

Post Likes
    I am still using my Sman 3 without the clamps. It sucks but I am so use to using them I don't want to put my Testo 550 back into service with the 2 clamps. I have been using my Fluke 52 with pipe clamp for taking my temps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in