presenting a customer training class, need help

I've not prepared training manuals in some time, but have to now... and I mean NOW.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of some good templates, or zip up and send me something you have (training, O&M, etc.) already?
    I'm just not finding what I want in the searches I've done thus far and all my templates and such stayed on the laptop at my old employer.

Thanks in advance!

What brand/model of control systems are your customers getting trained for?

I'm training on a system comprised of Distech and TridiumAX. But I have to position it as a "rocks with lips" type of training.
    I'm mainly in search of formats and such. The meat of the subject matter isn't the problem.

I don't remember who's spec I got this from, but I like the flow of this training session format:

• A review of the as-built drawings and O&M manuals, a walk-through of the facility to identify control panels and device locations.
    • Specific hardware configuration of installed systems in this building and specific instruction for operating the installed system, including HVAC systems, lighting controls and any interface with security and communication systems.
    • Security levels, alarms, system start-up, shut-down, power outage and restart routines, changing setpoints and alarms and other typical changed parameters, overrides, freeze protection, manual operation of equipment, optional control strategies that can be considered, energy savings strategies and set points that if changed will adversely affect energy consumption, energy accounting, procedures for obtaining vendor assistance, etc.
    • All trending and monitoring features (values, change of state, totalization, etc.), including setting up, executing, downloading, viewing both tabular and graphically and printing trends. Trainees will actually set-up trends in the presence of the trainer.
    • Every screen shall be completely discussed, allowing time for questions.
    • Use of keypad or plug-in laptop computer at the zone level.
    • Use of remote access to the system via phone lines or networks.
    • Setting up and changing an air terminal unit controller.
    • Graphics generation.
    • Point database entry and modifications.
    • Understanding FMCS field panel operating programming (when applicable).

I have to build up a training manual for next week.
    Many thanks, Tuncos, for the nudge sheet; I was just about to start roughing one out!.
    gnomethang

Glenn,

I do a lot of training. What level are you training? Building operator? Controls guys?

TUNCOS stuff is fine, but if it's building operator level, you are already wa ahead of these guys. Pretend you are training your wife or girlfriend and start there.

Start with:

Sensors - how they work and how to troubleshoot.

Lonworks - who they are (Echelon). How the network works and how you need LW3.

Tridium - who they are. How it's simply an interface to see what's going on (unless you are doing logic in it).

I'm doing training on this same exact system right now - Distech and AX. They were thrilled when I started at eh beginning and not in the middle.

My 2cents on training development;
    Start with a task analysis that includes a list of what tasks students should be able to perform after taking your class. Prioritize the tasks in order of importance.
    Create an outline of the material that is necessary to know in order to perform the tasks.
    Good training includes 3 tools - Presentation, Demonstration, and Labsturbation (hands-on)
    I use PowerPoint for the presentation method to cover the subject concepts. Then show em what they will do in the lab by demonstrating the task and finally let em loose to do it on their own with your assistance if needed. You should create some lab instructions that they can follow but not too detailed as learning through discovery is good too. If you're short for time you can combine the demonstration and lab where the students follow along with your points and clicks. Have a few jokes on hand to tell when the software locks up and you gotta wait for the reboot!
    Good luck!
    lb
    A hundred million nodes - it's a LON story.

[QUOTE=simsd;1407292]Glenn,

I do a lot of training. What level are you training? Building operator? Controls guys?

TUNCOS stuff is fine, but if it's building operator level, you are already wa ahead of these guys. Pretend you are training your wife or girlfriend and start there.

As a building operator, get to know your audience first. Not all of us are at that level. If you want better results, don't insult their intelligence. Find out what level they are at.

I've been around these guys (building ops with one or two controls guys) since last Sept. and have gotten to know them pretty well.
    I have mostly lips with rocks students with a few really intelligent guys, and maybe a couple that actually care one way or the other.
    So my approach has to be varied, informative and only mildly insulting to some.
    They're aware that I'll be going back to basics with the training as they've never had anything like this before.
    The actual training and it's script are not the problem, though. I've been the trainer enough times that I'm comfortable with that portion.
    I'm actually getting stuck with the stupid stuff like system summary and architecture. Just in how to format it for O&Ms and such. I tend to get into waaaay to much detail and start heading toward the more esoteric items.
    Although, I do have to fill 80 hours total without getting into actual device programming Well, I might show the two controls guys.
    I usre hope they have a ton of questions LOL

Quote Originally Posted by glennmcaz View Post
    Although, I do have to fill 80 hours total without getting into actual device programming Well, I might show the two controls guys.
    I usre hope they have a ton of questions LOL
    Wow, 80 hours?!? You better bring a ton of donuts

Distech - training

Make sure you get info on the EC-(X) controllers. They use a rather unique set of multiplexed NV's in order to pack lots of values into a small number of NV's.

I did Distech/iLon100 training for them (which the also sell and support) and this was important and I'm sure it is as well for the AX stuff.