Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Validation for conspiracy theorists

Founds this on a another forum I frequent:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/05/rep...6pLid%3D323921

The National Security Administration is secretly collecting phone record information for all calls on the Verizon network. “Under the terms of the blanket order, the numbers of both parties on a call are handed over, as is location data, call duration, unique identifiers, and the time and duration of all calls,” reports The Guardian, which broke the story of the top-secret project after it obtained record of a court order mandating Verizon hand over the information.
    The contents of the call are not recorded and it is also not known whether Verizon is the only cell-phone carrier complying with the massive spying project. The court order concerns all calls to, from, and within the United States.
    With this so-called “metadata,” the government knows “the identity of every person with whom an individual communicates electronically, how long they spoke, and their location at the time of the communication,” explains the Guardian.
    The Senate’s tech-savviest member, Ron Wyden (CrunchGov Grade: A), has been discretely warning citizens of these kinds of secretive government projects. “There is now a significant gap between what most Americans think the law allows and what the government secretly claims the law allows,” wrote Wyden and Senator Mark Udall to embattled Attorney Eric Holder.

The order apparently draws from a 2001 Bush-era provision in the Patriot Act (50 USC section 1861). The revelation dovetails similar exposes on massive government spying projects, including one project to combine federal datasets and look for patterns on anything which could be related to terrorism.

Blackmailing citizens critical of the government seemed like a distant hypothetical, until we learned that the IRS was auditing Tea Party groups and journalists were being wiretapped. Nefarious actors inside the government like to abuse national security programs for political ends, and that should make us all (even more) suspect of government spying.

Some government secrecy is necessary for national security purposes. But it’s justified based on our trust that the information will be used with care. With every passing scandal, the justification for these types of programs becomes more and more questionable.

Either way, this is a massive PR disaster for Verizon. While it’s true that AT&T had it’s own spying scandal, misery still loves company. It’s in Verizon’s interest to somehow implicate other carriers in the spying program. If Verizon is, indeed, not the only carrier, I suspect we’ll be finding out in the near future.

Wonder how much this costs?
    I feel really sorry for you Americans....

The issue is not Verizon, it is THIS administration.... !
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

The issue is the Patriot Act. We sold our freedoms for a little bit of security a long time ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/inte...ta-court-order

The current administration is just the carry over from the last. And the one before it.

And remember always remember its to keep you safe.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    The issue is a Govt. running amock because of a lazy, ignorant and complaciant citizenry. It began well beyond this administration. What makes this Administration so offensive is the "in your face", "heres the bird, now what are you going to do about it" attitude.....Susan Rice et. al.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Agreed, this admin is taking advantage of previous laws. But now the right is outraged, when the previous admin did it the left was outraged - pawns. I remember when folks on this very site said "whats the problem? I have nothing to hide".

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    Was Verizon forbidden to disclose to its customers that it was taking part in this?

That is the question Verizon must answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    The issue is a Govt. running amock because of a lazy, ignorant and complaciant citizenry. It began well beyond this administration. What makes this Administration so offensive is the "in your face", "heres the bird, now what are you going to do about it" attitude.....Susan Rice et. al.
    Agreed

Complacent citizenry is only part of it though IMO. I believe this has been on the drawing table for a long time (pre 911) to be implemented to coincide with planned events and is part of a NWO agenda.

Nothing in government goes unplanned!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Was Verizon forbidden to disclose to its customers that it was taking part in this?

That is the question Verizon must answer.
    gag order

The court order expressly bars Verizon from disclosing to the public either the existence of the FBI's request for its customers' records, or the court order itself.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...on-court-order
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"I say we just nuke them from space, that is the only way to be sure". Winch from ALIENS, forgot her name.

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

My front door is locked. For your personal protection.

I don't see why you should be so troubled by Obama's spying. I hear no complaints when the other Santa Claus does it. Just remember he sees when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for your own sake.
    Nothing is magic, it works or doesn't work for a reason.

So what are you guys gonna do about it?
    Isn't this the fourth amendment that's being broken?
    Or does only the 2nd amendment deserve outrage?

Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    The issue is the Patriot Act. We sold our freedoms for a little bit of security a long time ago.
    And those of us who dared question any provisions of the Pat Act were called traitors, unpatriotic and it was suggested that we be jailed for sedition.

So any crying about spying from certain members here is just a dumptruck load of hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    we be jailed for sedition.
    Yes, conjugated, and consigned to oblivian for the good of all humankind. LOL
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast