Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wrong tree on that one : ). Didn't get affiliated with union until literally two weeks ago. The companies I've worked for, I'm with my 6th, have either heard about me and offered a job or I walked in straight off the street with a resume and told them if they hired me they wouldn't regret it. No network, just a lot of will and determination. I'm settled in now with this one for awhile though, sometimes you have to put your time in with less than ideal spots to get to the company you want.

I'm not trying to bust anyone's ba11s here, trying to figure out what you're worth is legit and Kobe pointed out some of the ways to do that/ how to make more money. The idea that kills me is that people should just get paid based on the idea that we should all get paid good money. For example, if a new guy is hired for say $12 an hour and is there for 2 years but hasn't progressed in any way should he make more money, no. Even unions are based on the idea that the more time you put in the more SKILLED you are, is that how it always plays out, no but it should. I've worked with techs that complained that since they came to work everyday and had been somewhere for 3 years that they should be due a raise. If you aren't providing any more value to the company why should showing up and doing your job warrant a raise, I mean congrats on keeping up your end of the bargain but that's what you are supposed to do or you get fired.

Now if you make improvements in your skill set and knowledge, then go in there and lay it out how you've progressed and that you should get a raise because you have gained value, if they don't agree test the market, if other companies are offering more tell your boss, if he won't move on it then you should. I'm not talking about a $1-2 raise here but things that are significant, $4+ with additional perks and benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert25 View Post
    Mason atleast you have a network that you can move around and get opportunity to prove your self to climb up the ladder what about those who have the ability no opportunity no network and didn't get the opportunity to prove them self that's call suffocated one's talent

This is a poor attitude, IMO.

The idea that because a person doesn't have opportunity or network so they can't be successful is defeatist.

MAKE an opportunity. MAKE a network. Supply houses are good places to start as are RSES meetings.

Sitting back and waiting for someone to do it FOR you is laziness and certainly NOT the kind of tech I'd want working for (or with) me.

If I were paid for every hour I spent studying this stuff, I'd currently own half of the Caribbean, even AT $13/hour...

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    I was making $8.50 an hour in Louisville, KY in 2006. Was making $15 an hour doing HVAC in Denver, CO in 2007(not a cheap place) I started making a fair bit more but then the economy tanked in '08, moved back to KY and started out making $10 an hour in 2009 because of strict licensing laws that put me as an installer for the first 2 years, 2011 I reached the max at my company of $16. Since 2006 I decided to try and be the best at something, you think about things like that when you're pulling 50-100tons of steel every night. I've put the time and effort in, still have a ways to go to be the best but now I'm with a good company doing more commercial and industrial work and they started me out at $24.73 plus benefits, it's union, with a plan to go up about every 6months if I can deliver with performance.

I never complained or felt sorry for myself during any of this, I knew that to get to where I wanted to go I had to earn it, every penny with hard work. As for the time off, I've never had any time off, every company I've worked for has found something for me even when it's slow, sometimes that means I'm cleaning up the shop or servicing the shop units, I've run errands for the boss or helped in the office, maybe organized the parts area or the warehouse. The union company I'm with is about as non union as it gets, they bring in their own guys like me and then get them into the union, none of their full time guys have worked less than 32hours in a week for many years now and there's 12 of us, we have tons of maintenance contracts though so it carries us through the spring and fall.
    I am in the same boat as you, almost the same story. I just started in on industrial and come home every day to a pile of books to read. we live in a world of self entitlement. everyone wants something for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This is a poor attitude, IMO.

The idea that because a person doesn't have opportunity or network so they can't be successful is defeatist.

MAKE an opportunity. MAKE a network. Supply houses are good places to start as are RSES meetings.

Sitting back and waiting for someone to do it FOR you is laziness and certainly NOT the kind of tech I'd want working for (or with) me.

If I were paid for every hour I spent studying this stuff, I'd currently own half of the Caribbean, even AT $13/hour...
    Exactly!

I'm glad someone important said it 'cause I was thinking it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Since when is that the employer's problem? If someone wants to make more money, they must learn their trade and work harder and smarter.

I was working the trade for 3-4 years before I made that much.

What's up with 40 plus year olds saying they made 10 dollars an hour 20 years ago and they had no problem with it?
    There's something called inflation.

Everything depends on the city you live in. If you made 10 dollars an hour in Kentucky in 1992, that was worth much more, than making 16 an hour in Toronto today.

Haha sorry to get this whole thing started guys, looking back i probably shouldnt have even started this thread. I was just curious of the pay. Thanks robert for sticking up for me haha, your so right living in NY and Boston is tough, the cost of living is 6 times what it is down south. But just an update i actually left my job as a commercial installer, i was at 14.50 an hour which wasnt bad, but was tired of banging duct together all day, i am currently working as a commercial refrigeration service tech, working mainly on super markets. I love it! the pay is much better and i am learning the most technical sides to our industry.

btw robert im actually taking a trip to boston on the 4th of july, does it get crazy around that time of the year?

It gets crazy everywhere on Independance Day!!!!!
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123