Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

commercial install tech pay ?

just started in commercial install new to the field, currently in associates degree program second year. i have been with the company for about a year now, when i moved to commercial install they kept me at 13 an hour, is this wayy under paid or am i being to selfish? how much can i expect to make? i want to eventually find a great job in facilities and just basically do preventative maintenance for 50k a year. contractor work is not the most fun work out there.

Whether $13 a hour is enough for you or not depends on a lot of things. If you're not much more than a glorified janitor and gopher, then yeah that sounds about right. Maybe low but only by a dollar or two.

If you were just transferred into commercial install, then you're just a helper. Your company is basically paying you to learn. You have quite a long way to go before you can make 50k a year, though. Good commercial installers make quite more money than most maintenance techs in my experience.

Very true i am only a helper i guess i was just wondering what the normal pay range is for a commercial installer? i know i have a long ways to go, i am willing to do my time to make enough. Thanks for the reply!

Still hard to say a normal pay range. I know a Commercial Installer that makes $40 a hour (approx. 90k per year after overtime). But that is because he is the only experienced installer they have and they cant afford to have him walk.

I'd say at the top end, around $30-35 a hour. Average, maybe $28 or so. But it's hard to give an accurate picture.

oh wow, hes one lucky joe haha, well 30-35 is great pay even 28, so basically your saying its worth it to put in my time and learn as much as i can instead of trying to get a job as a facilities mechanic? its just contractor is ****ty. I dont like to travel and stay overnight and that is required at times. I love learning the trade and want to be the best at it. what do you currently do for a work?

Well, I don't know how much a facilities mechanic pays. In my experience the pay goes, in order from least to most: Resi Installer > Maintenance Tech > Resi Tech > Commercial Installer > Commercial Tech.

Commercial install is hard, back breaking work. Long days where you must keep on your feet and work at a high pace. A lot of people would rather be a Resi tech than a commercial installer due to the large labor differences for a relatively small pay difference. Being a Commercial Install Foreman is pretty nice, though, but there are limited spots for that.

I can't tell you what is worth it to you. If you're that averse to hard labor, then commercial install is not for you.

I should also note that my numbers are Bay Area California, so it's higher than most places in the country.

I do just about everything in HVAC from maintenance, to resi install/service, sheetmetal fab, commercial install/service, and management. I'm a business owner, but I prefer labor more than management.

What sort of commercial installs are you doing, and what is your level of involvement in the job? What area do you live/work in? Do you work for a large corporate type company with 200+ employees, or a small contractor with 2-10 employees?
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Wow 13 an hour as a commercial installer That disgraceful I know dishwasher making 20 an hour damn that's embarrassing kudos to you though i really don't know your situation and shouldn't be casting judgement but that's disrespectful

Yeah, its low. I am just a helper for now, but i am in my second year of a HVAC/R degree. Does anyone have any suggestions on a different route i can take to make good money with a degree in HVAC?

Union

If you would answer the questions I asked, I could be more specific with answers and maybe offer you some guidance. Without knowing any of those things, I'm going to say that 13/hr. is probably fine for what you're doing. You have less than 1 year experience as an install helper, since you indicated that you started in some other area of the company and were moved.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Tech Rob can a commercial tech making 13 an hour in a big city live off that?

By his own admission, the OP is just starting, has not completed his degree yet, and is a helper.

I'd have beat someone's a$$ to make $13/hour when I was just starting as a service helper who hadn't completed a training program.

I think I started at minimum wage.

It's called a training wage. Pay is commensurate with skill, knowledge and value to the company. As those qualities increase, pay should increase proportionally. If it doesn't, MOVE.

Quite frankly, $13/hour sound reasonable to me for a newbie to start at providing for raises as skill increases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast