Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Working for Sears?

Anyone know what they're like to work for? (as an hvac tech)

I heard it aint so good around there.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Buddy I went to school with works for Sears as a tech. Hes looking for a new job. I heard it aint either.

I knew a guy that did sub installs for em. he didnt like it but his bro had the license so he did what he had to.
    Go Away
    I'm Busy!

I sub contracted for them about 5 yrs ago, I tried it for 1yr. They had no organization whatsoever...it was a joke.

I have NEVER met a Sears so called technician that has impressed me @ all . They hire "greenhorns" straight out of school , pay them crap wages , work them to death , until the tech wisens up and finds a real HVAC company to work for . Sears techs are parts changers , NOT TECHNICIANS !!

Just my opinion

in my area (los angeles) Sears offers schooling for appliances at about 9 bucks an hour and starts you off as a tech for about 17 bucks an hour.

the trucks are tacked with GPS and are to be on and running in the morning

i talked to a former supervisor and he told me there are things that chip away at the wages , and the rate is paid only after certain qualifications are met , which can change your paycheck.

Sears is probably good steady work,

but i'm not really into appliances, or wall units, and i'd rather have a job that's more involved with REAL AC.

if i get into a grind i might apply there later.

Don't do it

My boss and I are both ex Sears techs, me 5 years, him 20 years. I got smarter quicker. We now subcontract to them to fill in the slow times. They are a joke, but if you learn to work their system it can be OK, just OK never great or even good for that matter. My experince with them in our area, can't imagine that it is any better other places. Oh yea, get used to flat rate scheduling for jobs, and if you can't do it in the scheduled time expect it to be reflected in your next raise, if you get one.

We regularly replace lots of items that are repairable, but were condemned by some lazy tech. We hear about their "super" techs all the time from their customers, as soon as they realize we don't actually work for Sears.

Find a good HVAC company and get a real job.

there are Sears employees that fix appliances , wall units ,and refrigerators,

and there are companies that are contracted by sears to do installs.

you weren't too clear on which job.

Quote Originally Posted by refrtech View Post
    I have NEVER met a Sears so called technician that has impressed me @ all . They hire "greenhorns" straight out of school , pay them crap wages , work them to death , until the tech wisens up and finds a real HVAC company to work for . Sears techs are parts changers , NOT TECHNICIANS !!

Just my opinion

Wising up has nothing to do with it. It's more likely they don't have a choice since most HVAC companies won't hire someone with out at least a few years experience. I suspect the "greenhorns" that are straight out of school, are so desparate for a job that they will work for anybody just so they can get some experience so maybe someday they can work for a "real HVAC company".

This is the situation that I'm in now and as sad as it seems I would be grateful to have a job at Sears. Not that I would expect to be there very long.

I really don't like to have a negative attitude, but I'm starting to second guess my decision to go into the HVAC trade. I do believe that schooling is a good thing but not enough. With all the students from all the different schools and the limited number of entry level job openings I think it takes schooling and an inside conection for any legitimate chance to land a job.

Thumbs up thanks guys

I appreciate all the feedback, they sure put you through the ringer, when you apply, if you can pass their tests, you can pass any, I really didnt like the vibe I got there, seems like you'all were right on the mark!

I have known a few people that have worked for sears as "Techs", none of them work there now and would never go back. Everything I have heard about Sears has been bad, bad, bad.

-JB

I work for Sears
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast