Air Filter and V-Belt Specifications

I'm helping put together some PM contracts for a small chain restaurant operation and would like to create some specifications for parts the HVAC contractors use. We suspect we have some using quality stuff and others using the cheapest thing they can buy. Problem is I don't really know which is which. All RTUs are 5 - 7.5 tons.

Filters
    So, air filters seem easy enough. Specify pleated, MERV 8 filters. Though I would like advice on what materials are better than others - cotton vs. synthetic.

Belts
    I don't know what to specify for belts. I know cogged vs. standard, and would like to specify cogged, but with the small units the energy savings is small. I'm not sure if it is worth it and whether the contracts would push back on that. One has already told me they are not a stock item and they would have to order them. So, are there different types/qualities of the standard belts? I'm sure there are varying qualities, what makes one better than the other? Different materials? I'm looking for general stuff where I could state "contractor will use xxxxxx v-belts with a rating of xxxx" whether the x's are a material or rating or type...

Any guidance is very much appreciated.

I don't know if it is still in there but there used to be a chart in the Grainger book that showed the max HP that could be transmitted by different belts on different sized pulleys, the clogged belts can transmit a much HP ( I guess torque if you want be be technical) on the smaller pulleys. My experience is that clogged belt are worth the extra cost, and my preferred suppliers are Goodyear and Gates, not impressed by the wear rate on Browning belts.

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

Quote Originally Posted by klrogers View Post
    I don't know if it is still in there but there used to be a chart in the Grainger book that showed the max HP that could be transmitted by different belts on different sized pulleys, the clogged belts can transmit a much HP ( I guess torque if you want be be technical) on the smaller pulleys. My experience is that clogged belt are worth the extra cost, and my preferred suppliers are Goodyear and Gates, not impressed by the wear rate on Browning belts.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

The Grainger reference is more of loads on belts etc. I'm looking for more general "use premium vs. standard" I just don't know what makes a premium belt or filter premium. The material - Kevlar vs. rubber, extra wiring, an additional coating, etc. I know some other have to have opinions on these products as you all are buying them every day.

You think cogged belts are still worth it on small HP motors for 5-ton units?