Local 399 vs 597

Hi. I want to know what the differences are between 399 and 597 unions in Illinois. Any information would be helpful, such as pay, steady work, hours per week, type of work, etc. If I was 399 then would I be a stationary engineer at a Hospital? And If I was 597 I would be doing commercial HVAC stuff?

I can try and give you my knowledge, from my limited experience in the field. I know that 399 has a majority of the buildings downtown locked up and also some in the suburbs. Hospitals, high rises, government buildings etc. As an engineer, you'll be doing anything from working on a DDC system, changing a belt on an AHU, to plunging a toilet. I believe they make mid thirties on their check, and I'm assuming they get normal 40 hour work weeks. Day shifts and overnights. 597 is all commercial and industrial. You could be a start up guy for a mechanical contractor, commercial refrigeration, service tech, etc. They make mid forties per hour I believe. If you know what you are doing, and are a good tech, you'll be working. I know 399 apprenticeship is 2 years and 597 is 4 or 5 years? 597 did their apprenticeship test back in January and this years classes have already started I'm guessing. They accept applications every month. Both are great careers. Chicago is a union town and if you want to work on the big stuff both these unions give you the opportunity.

Thanks for the reply!

I heard that you need to know someone that's in the union in order to get in...The most important thing to me would be work stability. How much vacation time do you get in the union? Whats better, union or non-union residential?