I turned on my system for the first time this season on Thursday 5/30. It ran fine (normal) until last night.
I noticed the condenser would kick on but it would take 2 or 3 minutes for the fan to come on at full speed. This morning it will not come up to full speed at all, it just runs at a constant, very slow speed.
I went up in the attic and did not hear any unusual noises (scraping, clunking). Checked the coils and they are not iced up.
It is running on X13 motor #3 right now. I believe I have a one year warranty on this replacement motor, expires June 18.
I just replaced the X13 motor last summer. Motor #2 just stopped working altogether. I had my HVAC guys get me the OEM replacement and I replaced it myself. I was careful to re-wire it exactly, position the belly band, do the drip loop, and position the connectors between 8 and 4. I ran like a champ for the rest of the season.
Motor #1 died the same as 2 in 2008. This was replaced by my HVAC guys on warranty.
- Is there something seriously wrong with this unit? I mean 3 motors in 5 years? Come on!
- Could it be a bad circuit board, wrong wiring? Or are the X13 motors just a problem?
- My HVAC guy is coming out Monday to check it. Is there anything I can ask him to look at specifically?
- I shut the system down but it is freakin hot out. Should I just leave it off until it can be checked? Or let it run on that slow speed?
- Is there a way to bypass the controls (temporarily) and get the fan to just run full speed until Monday? Or will that void the warranty or just be stupid?
- These motor always die in the first few weeks after startup. Air handler is in the attic. Could this be condensation killing them?
Any help or information for me or my installer would be greatly appreciated.
Rheem RHLA-HM4821JA Air Handler - installed on it's side, return on L, blower cage on R. The squirrel cage is above the motor.
Rheem RAPC-042JAZ Condensing Unit - 25 foot lines.
Installed: Oct 2006