Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Autopilot switch / mercury switch retrofit

Personally I haven't run into this switch myself, but thinking about adding it to my parts box, I don't feel comfortable putting hazardous products into people's homes, so I won't even buy the mercury switch if it's still available.

Last time I checked the manufactures didn't bother to make a retrofit kit for it yet, any progresses?

I guess the answer is no.

I've ran into these several times. I have not been able to find mercury switches new (i don't think anyone has them anymore).

Right now Napoleon has a retro kit to switch their units to a thermocouple system.

That advise doesn't fly around here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-15-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Removed unsafe advise

Jut for your information, I contacted Napoleon and got such reply:

The only fireplaces which have the retrofit available are the GD22 and the GD3200. The GD22 uses part number W010-2489 and the GD3200 uses part number W010-2488. Please contact your distributor for pricing.

[QUOTE]That advise doesn't fly around here./QUOTE]
    Are you saying that you bypass the pilot safety curcuit. I would be very careful about modifying any operating system. I would hate to be the defendent in that suit :O. The reason there are no kits is because they have not been approved for that particular model. I have found a few murcury switches online but they are in the $ range . I have done a couple of the Napoleon conversions but have had more luck selling new units as they are older models and really not worth the effort or cost to retrofit.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-15-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Quote of unsafe advise and price

Quote Originally Posted by jwgagnon View Post
    I've ran into these several times. I have not been able to find mercury switches new (i don't think anyone has them anymore).

Right now Napoleon has a retro kit to switch their units to a thermocouple system.

That advise doesn't fly around here.

No Way, Not ever
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-15-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Quote of unsafe advise

Bypassing a primary safety control is both illegal and dangerous. It voids the warranty and listing so it cannot be condoned here on this site. You either get parts approved by the mfr. to maintain the warranty and listing or shut it down. Having a homeowner sign off on such a modification does nothing to protect them from the hazard, does nothing to protect the contractor from liability but does everything to prove prima facie evidence of the illegal modification with knowledge and forethought. This makes proving a case of gross negligence with the potential for criminal prosecution in the event of injuries or fire a piece of cake. FYI, just having a homeowner sign off on an improper, illegal repair constitutes a "failure to warn" so that liability attaches to the contractor.

jwgagnon, please review my comments here before offering similar advice here again. Thank you.

Waterdawg please, no pricing.

I hear you can heat a house by taking a propane bottle turn it on and light a match, true or false?

Sorry about the pricing thing . It was more of a "what the parts worth on ebay". Not pricing but I'll never do it again, opps!!!

It's ok, it's good to keep Hearthman on his toes

Quote Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
    I hear you can heat a house by taking a propane bottle turn it on and light a match, true or false?
    True!!! but it is a little oversized

ah but you can also use it to de-snow the roof so it doesn't collapse!

A 1lb propane bottle fired off upside down so liquid phase fuel is released is VERY exciting and makes for a VERY realistic fire. It even burns like *real* fire! Man, customers would LOVE that!!!

No problemo Dawg--I know your heart was in it ;-)

Vader, I know you're also good at watching things on here so I'm not too worried. My toes cannot support my weight!

BTW, do not mess with propane as we're joking here!!! It is inherently VERY hazardous when used other than intended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast