Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The R-22 version of the 3.5 ton XL14i matched with the 2TEE3F39 air handler is 14.75 SEER and 8.9 HSPF, it also has slightly higher capacity than with the 3.5 ton XR13.

The R-410a version of the 3.5 ton XL14i with the 4TEE3F39 air handler is 14.25 SEER and 8.7 HSPF.
    Mark,

Could you point out the advantages of going with the 14XLi system over the XR13? My wife and I have been talking and we may see about going with the 14XLi if we could make the budget work. We hadn't planned on going with the 10 year warranty before with the XR13,but on another thread I posted other people/techs thought the warranty is a must have item. Well, with the added warranty cost it starts me looking in the 14XLi direction a little more.

Also , woud the 14XLi still use the same Air handler (F39)????

Quote Originally Posted by matjam68 View Post
    Mark,

Could you point out the advantages of going with the 14XLi system over the XR13?
    The SEER and HSPF are higher with the XL14i, the capacity is also a little higher with the same air handlers.
    The top keeps leaves out of the unit.
    The outdoor unit is a little quieter.
    When you buy an XLi, the factory 10 year parts warranty extends to the indoor unit also.
    The cost of the 10 year extended labor warranty is lower.

Also , woud the 14XLi still use the same Air handler (F39)????
    Yes...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The SEER and HSPF are higher with the XL14i, the capacity is also a little higher with the same air handlers.
    The top keeps leaves out of the unit.
    The outdoor unit is a little quieter.
    When you buy an XLi, the factory 10 year parts warranty extends to the indoor unit also.
    The cost of the 10 year extended labor warranty is lower.

Yes...
    Mark, thanks for the reply!

I'll talk to the salesguy this coming week. Even if we decide not to go with the 14XLi we are going to get the 10 year warranty. I assumed the 10 year warranty included the indoor air handler,but it looks like I better check on that also.

Mark, thanks for the reply!

I'll talk to the salesguy this coming week. Even if we decide not to go with the 14XLi we are going to get the 10 year warranty. I assumed the 10 year warranty included the indoor air handler,but it looks like I better check on that also.
    The optional extended warranty always covers both the indoor and outdoor units. The out of the box factory warranty on the XR13 is 5 years on parts and 10 years on the compressor and coil for the outdoor unit, and 5 years parts for the indoor unit.
    The XL14i outdoor unit factory warranty is 10 years on the parts, compressor and coil. If you buy a XL14i outdoor unit and an air handler at the same time, the air handlers parts warranty gets extended to 10 years.

The optional 10 year parts and labor extended warranty for the XLi system costs less than for the XR system because the XLi system already has a 10 year parts warranty, so the only coverage getting extended is the labor.

matjam

This may be a question for the Trane experts on this forum. I thought that a 3.5 ton condenser required an air handler with a blower rating of at least 3.5 tons. Is this the case with the air handlers being discussed on this thread? The Trane website is not very clear on this point. Perhaps the "49" model might be a better choice. Just a thought.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...ableSpeed.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    matjam

This may be a question for the Trane experts on this forum. I thought that a 3.5 ton condenser required an air handler with a blower rating of at least 3.5 tons. Is this the case with the air handlers being discussed on this thread? The Trane website is not very clear on this point. Perhaps the "49" model might be a better choice. Just a thought.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...ableSpeed.aspx
    Tiger,

That's the same question I had towards the beginning of this thread. The trane website does not show a 3.5 ton air handler, but according to some of the other posters the 2 3.0 air handlers on the Trane website go with the 3.5 ton xr13.

Here's another question for you guys. On the Trane website the XR13 and XR14 heat pumps both say they go "up to 14 seer". The HSPF rating on the XR14 is a little higher, but why would a customer pay the extra for the xr14 if the XR13 gets the same SEER rating per the Trane website???

Here's another question for you guys. On the Trane website the XR13 and XR14 heat pumps both say they go "up to 14 seer". The HSPF rating on the XR14 is a little higher, but why would a customer pay the extra for the xr14 if the XR13 gets the same SEER rating per the Trane website???
    When you get down to the performance specs of the individual outdoor and indoor unit matchups, the XR14 outdoor units will generally result in a higher capacity system than with the same size XR13 and same indoor unit, and generally have better cooling performance in ambient and indoor conditions that are harsher than the ARI rating conditions.

In my area the design conditions are for 100º outdoor ambient and 75º indoor temperature with 50% indoor RH. Rather than looking at a systems capacity at the ARI conditions, I use a utility Trane has that shows what each system matchups performance is at our design conditions.
    It isn't unusual for me to find that a matchup with an XR13 outdoor unit doesn't have the capacity I need at our design conditions, but with the same size XR14 unit, there is more sensible and latent cooling capacity, and the ratio between the sensible and latent capacity is better.

If cooling performance in more extreme conditions is your primary concern, as it is here in Texas, the XR14 is generally the higher performance option. At the design conditions we use in my area, it isn't uncommon for me to be able to match a 3.5 ton XR14 heat pump and air handler together that results in a total, sensible and latent capacity that is about the same as a few other manufacturers typical 4 ton systems.

To kind of illustrate the point, the 3.5 ton XR14 heat pump matched with the 2TEE3F39 air handler has about 4,000 more btuh cooling capacity than the 3.5 ton XR13 heat pump with the same air handler. about 1000 btuh of that is sensible cooling capacity, 3000 of it is latent capacity. This gives the XR14 system better humidity removal, and more flexibility with airflow settings to optimize comfort or efficiency.
    The XR14 heat pump also has more than 2000 more btuh heating capacity than the XR13 when matched with the same air handler.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 03-11-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    An air handlers capacity is determined by what outdoor unit it is matched up with. The air handlers in this thread have variable speed blowers that can be set for a variety of different airflows, and are more than capable of delivering the airflow required for a 3.5 ton system.

Trane 4ttx

Trane website difficult to understand. Is the 4ttx50481000a = a 15xli? I need a 4 ton unit. Was told the Trane air handler 4tee3049a1000a was appropriate match. I can't find any info from trane on that model? I was also swayed that the variable speed can lead to mold in the air ducts. I never heard of this. Has anyone heard that you can get mold in the air ducts of an older home?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony11 View Post
    Trane website difficult to understand. Is the 4ttx50481000a = a 15xli? I need a 4 ton unit. Was told the Trane air handler 4tee3049a1000a was appropriate match. I can't find any info from trane on that model? I was also swayed that the variable speed can lead to mold in the air ducts. I never heard of this. Has anyone heard that you can get mold in the air ducts of an older home?
    The variable speed may lead to mold in the ducts if they are leaky and improperly sized, but then again so would a single speed AHU.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Thank you for your very educated response, however we are trying to figure out which model the 4ttx5048a is. I can not find any info on the 4tee3049a. Which air handler is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony11 View Post
    Thank you for your very educated response, however we are trying to figure out which model the 4ttx5048a is. I can not find any info on the 4tee3049a. Which air handler is that?
    the 4TTX5048 is a 4ton direct drive AH 13 seer OD units

the4TEE3049 is a 3.5 & 4ton variable speed AH 13seer and above OD units
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12