Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane Air Handler model question

Hello,

I am looking at getting a new TRANE system installed in my home. Our TRANE dealer has said that the variable speed air handler's model number is 2TEE3F40A1000A (R-22) but I cannot find the model number on the Trane website anywhere. I asked our saleguy this question and he said that Trane has come out with a new model number, but has not updated the website yet. The thing that strikes me as odd(besides the fact of it not being on the Trane website) is that they have the 410A model number of 4TEE3F40A1000A. Why would they have one and not the other?

Also, in our latest proposal on the model number for the Heat pump unit - the model number shows for 3 ton unit instead of the 3 1/2 TON unit(which is what it should be). Obviously , we would change that with him. I am a little concerned with all this, but wanted to get some opinions. Our pastor had this same company put in a system at his house and had nothing but glowing reports about this salesguy and his company.

One last thing , on the air handler trane shows they have 2 different 3.0 TON air handlers - one is a 37k BTU and the other is a 40K BTU . Is the higher 40K BTU one considered a 3 1/2 ton??

Quote Originally Posted by matjam68 View Post
    Hello,

I am looking at getting a new TRANE system installed in my home. Our TRANE dealer has said that the variable speed air handler's model number is 2TEE3F40A1000A (R-22) but I cannot find the model number on the Trane website anywhere. I asked our saleguy this question and he said that Trane has come out with a new model number, but has not updated the website yet. The thing that strikes me as odd(besides the fact of it not being on the Trane website) is that they have the 410A model number of 4TEE3F40A1000A. Why would they have one and not the other?

Also, in our latest proposal on the model number for the Heat pump unit - the model number shows for 3 ton unit instead of the 3 1/2 TON unit(which is what it should be). Obviously , we would change that with him. I am a little concerned with all this, but wanted to get some opinions. Our pastor had this same company put in a system at his house and had nothing but glowing reports about this salesguy and his company.

One last thing , on the air handler trane shows they have 2 different 3.0 TON air handlers - one is a 37k BTU and the other is a 40K BTU . Is the higher 40K BTU one considered a 3 1/2 ton??
    37,000 btu's = nominal 3 ton, output capacity 37,000 btu's

40,000 btu's = nominal 3 ton, output capacity 40,000 btu's

The 40,000 evaporator is 2 1/2" wider than the 37,000

The Trane website does not show a 3.5 ton air handler though (just the 2 3.0 ones mentioned earlier and a 4 TON), so I guess I'm confused. With a 3.5 ton XR13 heat pump outside unit which air handler should I have ? The one listed on our proposal is a "3.5 TON TRANE 2TEE3F40A1000A Variable Speed Eletric Air Handler".

The 2TEE3F40A air handler is the same unit as the TWE040E that is listed on the web site. The change in the model number system was recent, and the R-22 variable speed air handlers were the last to change over.

Both of the air handlers you mentioned are listed with the 3.5 ton XR13 heat pump. It is a 13 SEER, 8.0 HSPF matchup with the 2TEE3F37, and 14 SEER, 8.2 HSPF with the 2TEE3F40. The 40 has almost 2,000 btuh more capacity also.

If the local distributor there has the new 2TEE3F39 air handler in stock, it gives the same SEER and about the same capacity when matched with the 3.5 ton XR13 heat pump(actually a few hundred btuh more), but is 8.5 HSPF. It is also 23.5" wide like the 2TEE3F37. The 2TEE3F40 is 26" wide.

The 2TEE3F39 is brand new though, so not all distributors have it yet.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 03-09-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The 2TEE3F40A air handler is the same unit as the TWE040E that is listed on the web site. The change in the model number system was recent, and the R-22 variable speed air handlers were the last to change over.

Both of the air handlers you mentioned are listed with the 3.5 ton XR13 heat pump. It is a 13 SEER, 8.0 HSPF matchup with the 2TEE3F37, and 14 SEER, 8.2 HSPF with the 2TEE3F40. The 40 has almost 2,000 btuh more capacity also.

If the local distributor there has the new 2TEE3F39 air handler in stock, it gives the same SEER and about the same capacity when matched with the 3.5 ton XR13 heat pump(actually a few hundred btuh more), but is 8.5 HSPF. It is also 23.5" wide like the 2TEE3F37. The 2TEE3F40 instead of 26" wide.

The 2TEE3F39 is brand new though, so not all distributors have it yet.
    Mark, Thank you for your reply. It makes me feel alot more comfortable about this process and our salesman. My wife and I have gotten the bad end of an unscrupulous saleman in a past big ticket item before, so I go over contracts with a fine tooth comb now.

I will ask our salesman about the 2TEE3F39 today. Is there a cost increase over the 2TEE3F40?

I will ask our salesman about the 2TEE3F39 today. Is there a cost increase over the 2TEE3F40?
    Not a significant price difference, but it is so new that the salesman may not know about it, and the local distributor may not have any, especially if it is an independent distributor. We have 4 factory owned distributors in my area, and only 1 of them shows any in stock.

Mark,

I'll go ahead and ask . The company is a Trane comfort select dealer, so they may have some knowledge. The company seems good so far ,but it doesn't hurt to double check. Also, They have been in business for 50+ years with a low BBB complaint record.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Not a significant price difference, but it is so new that the salesman may not know about it, and the local distributor may not have any, especially if it is an independent distributor. We have 4 factory owned distributors in my area, and only 1 of them shows any in stock.
    I talked to our salesguy today, and he didn't know about the new model number, but would look into it. He called me back 2 hours later , and said they can get it. He would have to do some further checking ,but that he would update our proposal with it.

I talked to our salesguy today, and he didn't know about the new model number, but would look into it. He called me back 2 hours later , and said they can get it. He would have to do some further checking ,but that he would update our proposal with it.
    Go with 4TEE3F040 and 4TWX4042 ! !!

Did you inquire about 10 year Parts & Labor warranty?
    What is TRANE offering for the Spring incentives in your area?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Go with 4TEE3F040 and 4TWX4042 ! !!

Did you inquire about 10 year Parts & Labor warranty?
    What is TRANE offering for the Spring incentives in your area?

The problem with the 14XLi is that it is quite a bit more expensive. a couple of grand if I remember. I did talk to them about the 10 year extended warranty for parts and labor, and we are considering it.

Frown

[QUOTE=matjam68;1403239] The problem with the 14XLi is that it is quite a bit more expensive. a couple of grand if I remember. [QUOTE]
    WOW ...
    Are there any other mechanical contractors you wish to talk to about a competitive bid?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

[QUOTE=dan sw fl;1403577][QUOTE=matjam68;1403239] The problem with the 14XLi is that it is quite a bit more expensive. a couple of grand if I remember.
    WOW ...
    Are there any other mechanical contractors you wish to talk to about a competitive bid?

We have talked to about 5 contractors. This company did more for the money than the other contractors (replacing/adding ducts,running supply lines) and we were referred them by someone we trust(which is a big plus). When you add in a low BBB complaint record and the length of time they've been in business it seemed the way to go.

Your surprise seems to mean that there is more flexibility in the pricing than I was led to believe.

I may talk to our salesguy about some of the XLi pricing. By the time you add Trane rebates, 10 year warranty cost for the XR models, and what the contractor itself rebates for "complete XLi" systems it may be worth having the conversation. I ended the XLi route when I got the initial price figure increase over the XR models and didn't pursue it further.

I can see going with an 16XLI unit for the savings, but what advantages does the 14XLI offer over the XR models besides the weatherguard top and the sound deadening? I obviously don't see these models day in/day out to know real world performance, but on the surface, it doesn't seem worth the extra money.
    Last edited by matjam68; 03-10-2007 at 08:46 AM.

The R-22 version of the 3.5 ton XL14i matched with the 2TEE3F39 air handler is 14.75 SEER and 8.9 HSPF, it also has slightly higher capacity than with the 3.5 ton XR13.

The R-410a version of the 3.5 ton XL14i with the 4TEE3F39 air handler is 14.25 SEER and 8.7 HSPF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast