Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier 6400 access?

Hi there.
    I am about to start servicing an old carrier plant, after the previous contractors were caught, not doing their job properly. Apparently, the site uses a carrier 6400 ddc setup, i am reasonably familiar with these old controllers on our existing sites, as my laptop has the comfortview 1.00 software which makes my life easy when it comes to reviewing settings... however, im not sure if i can use the laptop on a site, where i dont have the database configuration installed on my laptop already.

Ide like to review setpoints, limits... Can anyone recommend a plan of attack with this new site. There is a HSIO panel, but after talking to the onsite tech, we found that my documentation does not match the settings in this particular controller. Pressing 1 set, 2 set etc does not bring up the menus that i have listed in my various manuals. Ide love to be able to hook up my pc, but if anyone has a manual that might be of assistance, i would really like the reference. Thanks

I'm new to controls but am pretty sure you'll need version 5.0. CCN guys help me out.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

you will need to build a database. start a bus scan, then go have lunch. when you return, if the scan is complete, select all controllers and start the upload process. then go home. when you return the next day the upload process might be complete.
    mike

Thanks mikelcs, Ill have a go at doing it like that.... Do you know if the version 1.00 comfortview software will be sufficient? I suppose it should be, it currently has databases on it for other 6400 sites, that someone else has already built.

Your software should be fine. Just be preparred to spend the day building the database if there are any great number of controllers
    refrigeration workers of Ontario

Current version of ComfortView is 3.1, a minor update was recently released.

You should be just fine with version 1, older dos based service tool IV can access a 6400. The main difference in versions was to support the OS. I'm not familiar with version 1, but version 2 runs on Win95/Me and version 3 runs on WinXP-Pro. So depending on your OS, this will be the main issue with the version you need as you cant run version 2 on WinXP and version 3 wont run on Win98/ME.

All the databases are in the controllers, just do a search & upload them. Do a full search from 0-239, not sure your area but in mine they usually set tel-links in the 50's, bridges in the 70's, chillers in the 90's and RTUs in the 100's. If you dont have a backup of the site, you may also want to check & download any BEST++ if any exists.

The LID [HSIO] can be a chore, but will access everything you need if you know where to look. It plugs into Comm2 jack under the cover, not the jack on the outside. They have a SystemPilot out now that is alot easier to work with than the older LID's

Thanks guys,
    I was able to get the database to download and setup. Quite straight forward actually, except that i thought something had failed, as there were no values in the status column. A simple reboot fixed that. Is version 3.x a free upgrade? It does not appear so on the carrier website. We have an installation that has unknown problems, after about 10 mins of monitoring any part of the ccn, everything drops out on comms failure. Only rebooting restores comms.... for a further 10 or so mins. Moitor the same installation using my laptop, and the comms failure does not occur. So i believe its more of a software installation/windows installation. Now that i know how to restore the database, i might do a windows reinstall and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by izombie View Post
    Thanks guys,
    I was able to get the database to download and setup. Quite straight forward actually, except that i thought something had failed, as there were no values in the status column. A simple reboot fixed that. Is version 3.x a free upgrade? It does not appear so on the carrier website. We have an installation that has unknown problems, after about 10 mins of monitoring any part of the ccn, everything drops out on comms failure. Only rebooting restores comms.... for a further 10 or so mins. Moitor the same installation using my laptop, and the comms failure does not occur. So i believe its more of a software installation/windows installation. Now that i know how to restore the database, i might do a windows reinstall and see how that goes.

I believe major upgrades like ver2 to ver3 is a cost. Carrier's website does not post any patches or upgrades that I have seen for ComfortView. The 3.0 to 3.1 we got came from our local branch.

As for the issue with comm ... since you are only having issues with the one computer and not the laptop, verify the address of the computer to make sure it doesnt conflict with any other devices or computers. The computer has its own address and you can get that issue if 2 computers are connected with the same address.

Not sure on pre-ver3 of the software, but with ver3 you can repair the installation on the computer and the databases will remain. Be carefull if you are doing a new full install. If you are using WorkSpace for graphics, make sure you backup the graphics. If you also re-upload the database, you may have to re-build the graphics if the database names are different.

ComfortView rev 1.0 did also have a memory leak issue which was resolved in version 2.0, along with the addition of some extra tools.
    The memory leak would cause the PC to lockup after a time but that would depend on how much data was being accessed by the PC, the time frame for lockup would be severely reduced if there were a lot of alarms and data collection being done.
    Always try to set your PC's address to something that is not likely to be used on the CCN, default is 0,239 but if you change it to 0,235 or something similar then that should be OK.

Oh by the way ComfortView 3.0 and later will only work on PC's running Windows XP Pro.
    If you want to retain your Win98 O/S then will need to get hold of ComfortView rev 2.0 which Carrier no longer supply.

carriers old network service tool is a great program too. you can build a device list but it does not hold the actual database of the controllers. easy to use though.
    mike

Ahh ok, well i will try my luck at getting a hold of version 2 for the on site computers, as i dont really want to have to upgrade them all to xp. Version 3 might be good for my laptop though Does version 3 still hog the com(1) port so that no other software can use the port if the carrier software is initialised (but not running)?

I run ver3 on XP-Pro and can still use my com port. Just close all the CView Services and make sure you have no databases connected to your com port.

No worries, ill see how i go if i upgrade. With win98, i simply remove the carrier entries in msconfig/startup. to open up com1 again to other programs, I dont know if i have ever tried it by only disconnecting the databases in cmanager.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast