Air Handler Insulation

My A/C air handler (no heat) is in my attic and naturally it gets very hot up there. My A/C air handler is fairly big and is completely uninsulated. I assume this is a common practice, but I also assume it would be much better if it was insulated.

My inclination is to insulate it, but I was wondering if this should not be done for any reason. Also, any suggestions on how to insulate it are welcome. Of course, any insulation would have to be removable for maintenance purposes. I'm thinking of standard fiberglass bats perhaps taped together to form a blanket.

Are you sure there is no insulation on the inside of the air handler cabinet? Most air handlers that are metal have insualtion on the inside of the cabinet where the blower motor and the coil
    Is located. Often just a R-4 insualtion if that.

While I fine it werid that your current air handler has no insualtion. If this is true it's either really old or the insualtion was removed at some point. Does the air handler sweat? If you choose to wrap it you might want to look at something like a water heater blanket that is designed to go around water heater but could be possiable used to insulate the air handler? While I have never done would be easier to install then ductwrap insualtion or batts.

I would suggest have a pro come out and look at the air handler to ensure for 100% there is no insualtion and ask them what they recommed to fix/correct the issue?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-31-2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

ditto... wrap with R-8 ductwrap. make seperate piece for
    access panel so that it can be removed.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Yes, I see now that there is minimal insulation inside the handler. Although there are some transition boxes on the input and output that don't seem to have any.

Good question about the sweating, I'll have to check that out.

When things cool off I'll try the R-8 duct wrap suggestion.

Thanks, everyone.

in october? LOL!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

actually, the RUUD equipment I install has instructions in the installation manual to insulate any air handlers that are installed in unconditioned space to prevent sweating and to contain the best efficiency possible.
    R-8 duct wrap with the foil backing would be ideal in an attic environment due to the radiant heat reflection of the foil, but white water heater blanket would be an improvement over the 3/8" stock insulation panels of the average air handler.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman