Thread: What window AC manufacturers still have more than a 1 year warranty.

Post Likes

What window AC manufacturers still have more than a 1 year warranty.

I would like at least a 3 year P & L on a + 10,000 BTU unit.

Thanks Rich

Post Likes
    I just bought one at Wal-mart and they were trying to shove a 3 year plan down my throat at the register. You must not be looking very hard...

Post Likes
    Parts and Labor? I don't think anyone is going to come replace any parts on your window AC in the field. Are you talking more about a Ptac unit?

Post Likes

My age, 75 is showing. I have some very old, 10 to + 20 year old appliances still running very well. Not Green. But still running.

What manufacturers are most reliable in the 10,000 to 12,000 Btu market. I do not spending extra for a good product.

Post Likes
    I don't know much about window air conditioners and I'm not sure how many guys on here are going to have any insight. They are just that - appliances. I live in a very old house in the city so I have no option for air conditioning except window units. I have found that as long as you keep them right side up and clean the filter regularly that they will run for a long time.

Post Likes
    Ok Are there any companies still putting out quality products ?

I know engineers can design them to work well & last.
    Then the CPA & Cost Reduction Guy sit down & ruin all the quality.

I really feel like I am walking into a minefield on buying a new window AC.

Help & thanks for any help. ........I would buy this or I would not buy this in a 10,000 to 12,00 bTU unit

Post Likes
    Window units are disposeable. They are a price point, that is their purpose. They can last sometime, but if you consider that a 2 ton split system equipment alone costs at east 5X as much, about 8-10x after installation... what does that tell you about the quality?

Who do you thijnk would buy a $$$$ unit that you mount in a window?

They do make high quality wall mounted units, they are called ductless minisplits and they cost at least 3-4x more even for a cheap one.

You not going into a mine field. If the thing only lasts 3 seasons on average, You're still money ahead over a central AC system. You won't have the same comfort and even temperatures, plus the drawback of a unit sticking out your window.

This summer I might actually pick up a cheap 6k BTU window unit that I could run off my small 2kw portable generator if we have an extended power outage. I could at least cool 1/2 my upstairs to a comfortable level.

Post Likes
    I rent a summer cottage in upstate N Y. We Need the window unit.

Post Likes
    If it's just for a summer rental... who cares. Buy a unit, stick in in there. If it's only used for a couple months in hte summer, it should last for several years.

Post Likes
    Thank you motorguy !

I am losing it at a pretty good rate. That was my attitude way back when I bought the AC unit I have now.

Thank you everyone.

Rich

Money is no problem.
    Lack of money is.

Post Likes
    Just consider it part of the expense of the summer rental home. A summer vacation home itself is a luxury most don't have. Central air is another many can't afford.

The Pros on here make a living servicing central HVAC equipment, not disposeable window units, so they can be a bit critical of them. But they have their place and I try to be sensitive of their value. But you have to have reasonable expectation of their performance and quality. If you bought lets say a $5000 car brand new, what would your expectations be? Heck, I have limited faith in a $5000 used car anymore unless i can do all the work myself.

Post Likes
    Great news A local place has the Frigidare 12,000 BTU window. it has 1 full year / 5 years on sealed system.

Pick it up tommorow & give my working window 10,000 to a friend that needs one.

Life is so good. Sometimes.

Many thanks to all of you, for your help over the years.

Rich

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in