Pump Suction Filter

Has anyone ever put a fine filter in the pump inlet where the screen goes. We would like to clean the system up and it seems like a good idea but I can't find a filter for this Taco pump. 2 HP, 2.5" line. Company hasn't answered email.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Use a sidestream filter
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Ingersol Rand makes a filter like that with a built in pressure gauge to tell you when to change the element. Search Grainger.

another option would be a bag filter piped in the discharge line to the filter and back to the suction line. this way it can be cleaned without shutting the pumps off. and as it gets dirty it wont restrict the pump.

I dont like bag type filters, the bottom of the bags blow out too easy. I usually put a 3/4 or a 1" hot tap on the suction and discharge of the pump piping and set ball valves, then pipe in a Harmsco filter shell and adjust for about 2 psi drop across the filter cartridges, also spring for the reuseable cartridges and clean them, its much cheaper in the long run. Once the loop is clean remove the filter rig and install plugs in the vlaves. Lease the filter rig to your next customer with a dirty loop.

I agree with the sidestream filter, be very careful about the filter bag, if the suction pressure drop is to great across the filter you'll kill your pump in no time.

You are right that the bag has better with stand the pressure differential across the pump. We made sure of that when it was installed.