High amounts of humidity in office during rainy weather

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out some problems at my company. I have a Trane Voyager 10 ton (circa 2008/2009) that has some problems.

First, whenever it rains during the summer and the A/C is on. The system proceeds to draw large amounts of outside air causing not only a positive pressure inside the building(doors won't close), but, also high amounts of humidity. Shoes squeak and papers are curling, general nasty wet feeling in the office.

I haven't looked at the unit yet so, I'm not sure if I have the relitel controls I keep seeing in the manuals provided. The system has two thermostats (th6220d1002 for upstairs) and (baystat050a for downstairs). Both wired the same way. I don't know if that matters. I've attached a few photos for determination.

The system also has a damper somewhere in the ducting to allow the heat/A/C to be directed to either up stairs or down stairs. It sounds like it is activated when either thermostat makes a call for heat/cool.

What I need help figured out right now is the humidity problem. What should I check for, functionality? Is there a known problem with these units that needs to be fixed? I saw something about Humidifier pad reminders on different thermostats, do these determine relative humidity and if it's old, cause such problems?

The system has an economizer, is there a sensor that may have gone bad? My boss says the system is over sized, I've done a load calculation and it's over sized by 2,000 BTU, no big deal if you ask me. Could the slight over sizing cause high humidity in the conditioned space?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherN91 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out some problems at my company. I have a Trane Voyager 10 ton (circa 2008/2009) that has some problems.

The system has an economizer, is there a sensor that may have gone bad? My boss says the system is over sized, I've done a load calculation and it's over sized by 2,000 BTU, no big deal if you ask me. Could the slight over sizing cause high humidity in the conditioned space?
    Your a/c sized right when it at design conditions. You must have minimal fresh air ventilation which is dry to wet. You have occupants adding moisture to the space. Your a/c removes moisture while removing sensible heat. Without sensible cooling load, your a/c is oversized.
    Make sure your economizer is not setup to bring excess cool wet air. Also get a good tech to setup your a/c to have a 45^F coil temp to remove a goodly amount of moisture.
    If you want to be able to maintain <50%RH during low cooling loads and normal moisture loads, you need supplemental dehumidification. A dehumidifier or reheat. After getting the a/c set properly, consider a large ULtra-Aire dehumidifier.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

I read in the manual that the Voyager has gas reheat dehumidification. Would it be as simple as installing the room humidistat(wiring it) and maybe changing a dip switch or something on the control board to accept information from the sensor? Or, is it more involved?

The manual is rather difficult to figure out.

For starters you didn't say if this is a new problem or one that has been happening since the equipment was installed. From your description it sounds as if your economizer setup is what is causing the problem. The building being pressurized could be the relief function of the system has failed.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    For starters you didn't say if this is a new problem or one that has been happening since the equipment was installed. From your description it sounds as if your economizer setup is what is causing the problem. The building being pressurized could be the relief function of the system has failed.
    Sorry, I didn't mention that. The problem started last spring and the system has been installed since late 2008.

Is there a repair manual I can look at to see where the pressure relief is?

you need to get a knowledgeable tech to check out your economizer and controls and stop trying to fix it yourself. You're looking at generic manuals. Manuals are all inclusive with every option included. You may not have any optional equipment. If it worked before probable defective motor or enthalpy controller

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-29-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

StarCat

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.