testing ecm 3 motors..

i have the zebra z7 and it does not have adapters for the 3.0 but zebra told me they have a U version that older but can test 3.0 yet they dont do anything close to the vz7.. this makes no sense to have an older ester to test the newer motors and the new tester can not! arghh!

so what are you using to test these motors other then they are getting power and whether are or are not working or visually see that limiter relay burnt?

I never used a tester once. If they are getting control signal from board, thru the harness to module; and the motor checks out (resistance to each tap within 10% and none to ground) and spins freely - usually with a very slight vibration/rumble; it is the module. You won't always see the burnt brown M&M with legs.

Only had one so far that wasn't the module - and it was locked up tight, magnets all rusted.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I never used a tester once. If they are getting control signal from board, thru the harness to module; and the motor checks out (resistance to each tap within 10% and none to ground) and spins freely - usually with a very slight vibration/rumble; it is the module. You won't always see the burnt brown M&M with legs.

Only had one so far that wasn't the module - and it was locked up tight, magnets all rusted.
    This^^^ is my experience.

The VZ-7 is Zebra's original ECM tester. If I'm not mistaken, due to its 24 volt format, it would be almost impossible for it to do a 3.0, just like it can't do a 2.5 motor used by Carrier/Bryant due to a different type of signal
    The Universal Zebra is Zebra's newer tester, and is geared to eventually do all types of ECM motors. However, it is only capable of giving a go/no go signal to the motors, and it cannot tell you what the signals coming in to the motor are, like the VZ-7 can.

So, your choices for the 3.0 are:
    Universal Zebra, with 3.0 adapter
    Genteq tester, which comes with the 3.0 adapter (around $75 to $80)
    Do what the guys above said, get the Genteq testing book, and/or the OEM books for the particular equipment you see the most, and learn how to test the inputs to the 3.0 motors (and other ECM motors)
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!