Higher efficiency cooling system....

Hello all,
    I'm a little fuzzy on this topic but I was wondering....How much or what % of energy saving in a seer? And convert it to $$$ how much per year the home owner would saved?

from the charts that i use I wouldnt be able to give any kind of answer on this as it seems to me when I compare 10 seer to 15 seer there is a pretty large savings, but then 15 seer to 20 seer the savings are not as high. I have a spread sheet that does all the math automatically, my company bought it from a sales class that i took. As far as the annual savings and the seer rating question you are asking it depends on how much they use the system, and you could never give them a solid number because things such as use and weather will always change. I couldnt honestly inform a customer of any kind of solid number, only a guesstimate based on the previous years use and weather.

IMHO real world perfomance of the HVAC SYSTEM is far more important than the number on the box. Consider on average mosts systems on deliver about 2/3 of thier rated SEER. Getting that extra 1/3 means a few things:

1: Proper equipment selection, system sizing/ductwork. Oversize the systen or undesize the ductowrk and kiss your rated SEER goodby. Most homes do NOT need to the typical 500sqft per ton. Do an ACCURATE (dont fudge inputs to get the results you want) load calculation. For every 1/2 ton you oversize you loose about 1 point real world SEER. Having ductwork that won't deliver enough airflow just adds insult to injury.

2: Look at EER and expanded performance data. You may be shocked to see how little differnce there is in EER @ with a 15 degree difference (90 outside/75 inside) between a 15SEER and 20SEER system. IMHO going to multistage equpiment is rarely worth it for residential installations.

3: Proper installation, charging, duct sealing if needed. If the system is sized correctly (aka close to design conditions) this WILL have to be done. Hack attack installs wont cut it if the system is sized close ot actual design load. Hack attack installs typically oversize to compensate for crappy installation practices.

http://acrightsize.com/files/elephant_in_the_room.pdf