Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nitro Flow during brazing?

Ive seen a lot lately, in my never ending studys, that u should have a steady flow of nitrogen going while ur brazing? Is that correct. Iv never seen anyone do this personally. whats the exact procedure if so? PSI, from certain end, etc. Thx

I have a JB braze-rite fitting that fits In an open end of pipe. Looks like a swedge tool, but is hollow and has a flare fitting. I jam that in one end of the pipe and use a flow meter to gauge how much, i just float the ball between no flow and 5 CFH. Or if applicable I just connect the flow meter to a service port on the system.

The trick is very low flow so you don't get pinholes from it blowing out the joint you're sweating and just turn it off completely for the last joint.

I've had good luck recently with removing the core on one side of the service valve and connecting the nitro to the other side. It flows through the whole system and gently blows out the other side with such little pressure i don't get pinholes.

X2
    Doug

Just hook the tank up to the gauges and flow through the shredders

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Just hook the tank up to the gauges and flow through the shredders
    That is great if you have the sysem together but during ass'y, this adator works well.
    Doug

Shredders always leave debris in the pipe

One of the other members recently posted a great video from YouTube as to the value of running nitrogen through While brazing! I don't recall which forum it was in, try to search it
    I know the guy who know's the "Chiller Whisperer"

Quote Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
    Shredders always leave debris in the pipe
    There shouldn't be any when you use nitrogen, even then I always sweep them out at high pressure.

Turbo torch makes a nitrogen flow meter. It ties on to the outlet side of the nitrogen regulator, then you can hook up to the flow meter from your charging hose. Send it threw and I leave out the schraders. The flow meter has a little ball in a glass tube, just pick it up a little bit and there is nitro flow. I got mine at Johnstone supply, cheap tool for the results it gives, costs more for me to take out the wife for dinner. I do not know why I never had it before someone else on here put it out there on a post. Google turbo torch nitrogen flow meter, images, and it makes great sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    There shouldn't be any when you use nitrogen, even then I always sweep them out at high pressure.
    I was just teasing, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cbssteve View Post
    Turbo torch makes a nitrogen flow meter. It ties on to the outlet side of the nitrogen regulator, then you can hook up to the flow meter from your charging hose. Send it threw and I leave out the schraders. The flow meter has a little ball in a glass tube, just pick it up a little bit and there is nitro flow. I got mine at Johnstone supply, cheap tool for the results it gives, costs more for me to take out the wife for dinner. I do not know why I never had it before someone else on here put it out there on a post. Google turbo torch nitrogen flow meter, images, and it makes great sense.
    That's what I got too. If someone has never used one they'd be surprised how little flow you can get that you just can't do with a regulator or manifold.

Nitrogen flowing brazing is one of the biggest enlightenments I've had from coming to this website. I had never, in 15 years, heard of it until I came here. Picked up everything necessary, and now I am a convert. My welds are so much nicer, and my pipes are so much cleaner.

Learned another thing, thanks to matt1124. I now have ordered a JB Braze-rite fitting. It will be significantly better than my current method for open ends.

I started using N2 while brazing about 8 years ago- not one new install since has had a TXV problem. The flowmeter is key- I use my Rx11 gun when schraders are not easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast