+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wages

Post Likes
    same package on the island, just structured differently, more retirement less hourly.

Post Likes
    I'm not too sure what the rest of the state is at, but where I'm at is $21. Though I've been with the company 6yrs benefits are okay. I'm actually going to take the aptitude test for a union very soon. Was actually wondering if anybody had any pros and cons of hooking up with a union. I'm in jersey, union is out of philly. I'm really excited about ther opportunity, but on the other hand am reluctant to leave my job security.

Post Likes
    $21 after 6 years, in NJ?! Do you do only residential?
    The UA Pipefitters Philly Local is one of the healthiest on-the-check's in the country.

Post Likes
    Nah residential and commercial, also plumbing. I don't dabble much in the pluming side mostly more on venting. Chimney liners and what not. Although the company doesn't pay much, like I said $21. It is a good place to work for. Very family and kinda of a niche to get hired. The hours are always at least 40. Though the company is becoming more corporate. That's one of the main reasons I wanna leave. It's the only company I've worked for doing hvac. Wanna see what the rest of the trade it like. Plus I've always had an interest in union. Any more inside info on unions would be nice.

Post Likes
    Some Locals have lower packages for Service, both AC/R and Plumbing. That sucks. How can a guy make more installing a chiller than a guy repairing it?!

Post Likes
    Many states already have minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage and in states where the minimum wage is based on inflation, it could mean the workers in those states would take pay cuts if the state minimum wage is lowered. The idea of a lower minimum wage is especially catastrophic now, when so many unemployed workers are being forced to take low-paying jobs. More people are struggling to get by on minimum wage, so that many more people would be affected if states lower their minimum wages.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    Some Locals have lower packages for Service, both AC/R and Plumbing. That sucks. How can a guy make more installing a chiller than a guy repairing it?!
    Lets think about this.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    There must be a way to be a lawyer and not feel the constant need for a hot shower - but I never found it. About all I can remember now is that Equity Abhors Forfeiture. <g> An advantage to being an attorney is that you can work until you die without wearing out.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post
    $22 an hour works out to $44,000 at 2000 work hours a year (8 hrs, 5 days a week, 50 weeks in a year). For what it takes to be a competent technician this seems a bit low for pay.
    Add in health care as a benefit; I pay $1500 a month we get an additional $18k or $62k, not bad but you cannot eat healthcare. So to be a successful hvac technician you need to bust your butt and work like a madman in season.

I think if I had it to do again I would have become a mediocre lawyer and gone into politics, who knows maybe I could have won the presidency as my first real job.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    $1500/mo? Private or group?

Post Likes
    NC doesn't have a Journeyman program at this point. I am having to work around that moving from NC to VA (it's a pain).

Post Likes
    There's a supermarket chain in AZ that gives the in-house Techs the equivalent of the Local Union package. $45/Hr, not bad. It's up to the Tech to put aside for his own insurance and/or retirement.

Post Likes
    I know i do not charge enough.

Post Likes
    Journeymen scale for local 638B in NYC is $38.80 pr hr plus your benefit package. Overtime is $58.20 and double time is $77.60. Journeymen is considered after 5 years of service in the union. If you are a very good senior mechanic who is one of the best in that company can earn up to $50+ pr hour. It really depends on the company and the mechanic. Good luck to you my friend, wish you all the best.

Post Likes
    That seems low for NYC when you compare it to Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, etc. I believe the Construction side gets paid more in NYC. Around here Construction Nd Service are co-equals in pay.

Post Likes
    I just got home from working that 638B overtime tonight

Post Likes
    I'm going to rant. How can a Construction Plumber (I'll him a Plumbing Tech, as not to offend anyone) make more than an Service HVACR Tech?!

Post Likes
    Cause service guys work all year, construction guys get laid off. But if you're with a busy shop on the construction side you can work all year. That's what I was told.

Post Likes
    It might seem low, but when you have the option to work over 400 hours of overtime a year it really adds up. Not to brag by any means I say this only because I believe union is the way to go, I am 27years old, have 9 years contributed to my pension and make over $100,000 a year with no collage education. I say it's a decent way to make a honest living. However you have to work in the environment you are most comfortable in. This can be a extremely dangerous field and you don't want to be put in a situation that's out of your comfort zone.

Post Likes
    I've been in the field for 15yrs been with same company for 10 as a res. light comm. service tech. I'm making 18 an hr here in ohio.

Post Likes
    I say it's low because on the CBA, it is. People can say you can make more "above scale, OT, DT, etc". That's not what I'm talking about. If Construction is the field you play, that's your decision. With HVACR even if it is Construction, they still consider it Service.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in