Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Grilling Chicken

Anyone have any good ideas and ways of grilling chicken? I tend to overcook so its never undercooked

Post Likes
    I find it best to not shock them pull them out of fridge let them sit a little bit. Do one side at a time avoid turning then to much.as soon as you see some clear juice pull them off

Post Likes
    Marinade them at least overnight in a garlic, vinegar and oil solution. When I'm lazy I use Newman's Balsamic dressing. Cook them indirect and baste them with white vinegar and oil mix as they cook to keep them moist. Cook em about 4-5 mins per side and flip 3x to get nice hash marks on both sides. They'll be cooked through yet still moist inside and out.

Post Likes
    Deboned Chicken Wings stuffed with Italian Sausage and Stove Top Stuffing
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Likes
    Those look great Ikap!

6. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ok, this is going to sound weird. I take boneless skinless chicken breasts, cover them in a combination of taco seasoning and chili powder, and I so mean cover. Let them sit in the frig for several days in a sealed bowl. Take them out of the frig about 20 minutes before cooking. Set the grill up for wood smoke, its a Weber with a box for wood chips which I soak for about 2 hours. Get the grill up to about 450°. Put the chicken on the warming rack above the grates. Every 4 minutes turn and rotate the chicken. I usually do 4 breasts, so as I flip them I move them over on the rack and take the one on the left end and move it to the right which is where the smoker box is. In 16 minutes the breasts are usually about 160° internal. The funny part is they taste a lot like bacon but are tender and juicy.

8. Likes lkapigian, Icedog liked this post.
    Post Likes
    1/4 cup each of kosher salt and brown sugar to 3/4 gallon of water. Bring to a Boil, Add fresh thyme and a pound of ice to cool it off...soak bone in chicken overnight to 24 hours.

Grill on med-high just to get marks baste with BBQ sauce...move to indirect heat until they are done 165 degrees.

Brine for chicken makes it almost impossible to dry out...

10. Likes lkapigian, Icedog liked this post.
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mpenney View Post
    Anyone have any good ideas and ways of grilling chicken? I tend to overcook so its never undercooked
    I've been grilling all of my adult life, but never mastered checking the doneness of chicken by looks, cook temp or time. So, I invariably overcooked it too. Not such an issue with dark meat, but the breast would become dry if I didn't guess it right.

The solution? I always use a meat probe thermometer now. Pull the breasts off the grill when their internal temp reaches 165°F. Any more than that and the meat will become dry and a bit tough. Let them rest 5-10 minutes. They always turn out moist and tender.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    I've been grilling all of my adult life, but never mastered checking the doneness of chicken by looks, cook temp or time. So, I invariably overcooked it too. Not such an issue with dark meat, but the breast would become dry if I didn't guess it right.

The solution? I always use a meat probe thermometer now. Pull the breasts off the grill when their internal temp reaches 165°F. Any more than that and the meat will become dry and a bit tough. Let them rest 5-10 minutes. They always turn out moist and tender.

^This^

Do not overcook meat. Period!

First, modern food safety protocols have actually reduced the safe cooking temps for many meats. I know that pork has been reduced because trichinosis has been eliminated from domestic swine. No need to cook the h**l out of it. That will stop the dryness.

I've done any number of marinates with almost any piece or cut of chicken, including the whole bird.

Some of my favorites:

Kebabs. Cook them quick and hot. They are easy to get right.

Bone-in breasts. I marinate them for a day or so in a mix of whatever is around, throw them on a blistering hot grill, meat side down for a few minutes to sear the meat, then flip them, drop the temp and let them cook to about 150-155 then REST them. Just take them off the grill and let them sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes.

Legs and thighs I'll just cook kind of slow and baste with a thick, goopy bbq sauce right at the end with just enough heat to caramelize it.

My all time favorite, though, is a whole bird. Rub it down with whatever suits your fancy, stand it up on an open beer can on the grill (I have a little metal stand that holds a beer-can inside the chicken) Put a pan with just a wee bit of water under it and cook with indirect heat for an hour or an hour and a half until it makes temp.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    ^This^

Do not overcook meat. Period!

My all time favorite, though, is a whole bird. Rub it down with whatever suits your fancy, stand it up on an open beer can on the grill (I have a little metal stand that holds a beer-can inside the chicken) Put a pan with just a wee bit of water under it and cook with indirect heat for an hour or an hour and a half until it makes temp.
    Well said. Overcooking the meat ruins a meal. And beer butt chicken is always moist and very easy to prep. I have the can holder also and does make it easier but out camping we just used the can. Came out perfect.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Icedog View Post
    Well said. Overcooking the meat ruins a meal. And beer butt chicken is always moist and very easy to prep. I have the can holder also and does make it easier but out camping we just used the can. Came out perfect.

I've also seen recipes with the chicken in a coffee can.

Turned out really good.

Post Likes
    Marinading overnight is a good start and keep the flame not too much since they tend to be cooked outside and leave the inside still raw.

in a service van down by the river...........
    Post Likes

Grilling Chicken

I have always pulled the skin off of chicken after it is cooked and not eaten it because I've always heard about the high-fat content etc.

Recently I read somewhere on a post similar to this one, that if you want your chicken skin to come out very thin and very crispy, let it sit overnight uncovered in the refrigerator so that the skin looks like it has dried out.... I have started arranging the chicken pieces in the refrigerator so that all the peices are not stacked up like I used to letting each pieces skin dry out… OMG!!! I wish I had never read that........I can already feel my arteries closing off because it is so good... It also works on a whole bird...

And to all of the beer can chicken fans, I highly recommend that you read up on spatchcock chicken… Not saying it is better, but I will never shove of a can up a chickens butt again… Just Say'in...

Sent through Tapatalk, even though they ruined it with "upgrades"...
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast