Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

considering supermarket refrigeration job ! have questions !

So Im considering taking a job w/ a shop that only does supermarket refrigeration. On call every 3 weeks, no travel, and the service manager mentioned 80 hr weeks.....what....80 hr weeks, thats 7 12's. thats heavy hours boys. But I'm assuming thats worse case scenario, Or im hoping anyways. I got 2 kids/wife, not sure if im down for all that. Can someone sorta give me the rundown ! Is it good work ? Will i have no life ? Im a restaurant tech so, im used to long hrs. and ****ty work but Im a little nervous about the supermarket side. I wanta hear some good things !

how is your personal ability to adapt/learn new things?
    if you have strong refrigeration and electrical theory you will be OK,
    on call every three weeks could be heavy??
    with service manager mentioning, 80hour weeks can mean a few things, possibly under-staffed or out of control not well maintained refrig systems
    is the service radius large, how far will their customers be from where you live?
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

In a supermarket, there isn't really an option to move the product if the frozen foods goes down.

When the call comes in, someone usually needs to GO. Doesn't matter if it's a birthday party, a baseball game or an anniversary dinner. I've missed all of the above.

Now, as Mikey mentioned, a strong maintenance program and an intelligently run service department can minimize the negative affects that the job can have on family life, but 60-80 hours can be a very real thing in mid-summer without good maintenance.

80 hours a week you'll have plenty of money to pay alimony and child support.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

With all that has been said . It still is better than working on restaurant eqipment.

I worked markets for about 5 years……….best education I ever got.

It's totally hilarious how the suggestion that you might be absent from your family for most of your work week is totally ignored. Is money your real motivation? No amount of money can replace interaction with your kids. There are plenty of hvac jobs that will support you and still have decent hours. A boss who says 80 hours a week at jump street is going to burn you up. Then you will be right back where you started except with a pissed wife. I know I have a lot SA comments but I do keep it real just think about your motives are they a little greedy maybe. The grass is not always greener.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

We do supermarket refer, 70-80 hour weeks was the norm last summer. Most stores won't pay for pm work, or to upgrade their equipment. It's a rough life but the money is good. Takes a hard toll on the family and lots of stress. We usually work all night while on call.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    It's totally hilarious how the suggestion that you might be absent from your family for most of your work week is totally ignored. Is money your real motivation? No amount of money can replace interaction with your kids. There are plenty of hvac jobs that will support you and still have decent hours. A boss who says 80 hours a week at jump street is going to burn you up. Then you will be right back where you started except with a pissed wife. I know I have a lot SA comments but I do keep it real just think about your motives are they a little greedy maybe. The grass is not always greener.
    Actually, there is a lot of truth to what you're saying.

I can't say enough good about my wife, really, when it comes to my working OT. She has been very understanding and supporting when I do have to work.

I've also tried hard to "break the mold" of market work around here. It must be working, one of "my guys" is currently begging the office for more OT...

Almost all of my customers have preventive maintenance accounts and I push a strong maintenance program.

In short, IT WORKS!

My experience with supermarket refrigeration is......

You will need to love work, more then you love anything else, or you will be miserable.

But again, this is just my experiences...

The education was great. I learned more in a month doing markets than in my whole career previously. The hours can suck and seen lots of sunrises over the hood of my truck coming home and missed holidays, but how often that happens depends on the shop and their maintenance program like jp said. I was on call every 4 weeks and that wasn't too bad, but we also had strong pm program, swing and graveyard shift during the week so it was usually just weekends that got slammed in the summer.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Oh and by the way for what it's worth, I miss doing markets.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I've been working in markets for better than 25 years.

Seen 80 to 90 hour weeks.

Missed more of my daughter growing up than I care to remember.

Missed my parents 50th wedding anniversary working out of town. Dad didn't live to see the 51st.

When you go to work in the morning, you have no idea what time you will be home.

Have called the wife "Hey, I'm on the way home, lets go get some dinner". 5 minutes later, "I'm heading to XXXXXXXXXXXX, will be home when I get there".

I can go on for a long time. Yes, I still do supermarkets.
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast