Possible Causes for Compressor Repeated On/Off Cycle

Hi all,

The compressor of a walk-in cooler is acting strange. It keeps turning off and on in repeated short cycles. I don't know if the problem has to do with the refrigerant or not. The refrigerant is R-22. I checked the section pressure and it read 60psig. I'm not sure what is going on. If anyone can give me some advice, that would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Is the cooler maintaining temp?

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    Is the cooler maintaining temp?
    Not likely with a 60 pound suction pressure...

I've got a suspicion. Is the compressor unit very hot?

The reason I was asking is because he could have a leaking liquid line solenoid valve or compressor reed valves and the compressor could be short cycling on the LP switch in the off cycle. The cut in setpoint could be above 60.

Thank you all for your replies. I rechecked the unit.

If the compressor continues to act this way, it will kill the capacitor. This will cause the compressor to not run, and this will affect the temperature of the unit. Otherwise, the temperature is fine. Even so, the compressor unit is not very hot, but it is warm.

The low pressure switch is fine. The cut in setpoint for the low pressure switch is set to 30psig.

Although, the head pressure fluctuates from 300psig to over 450psig. I think this causes high pressure switch to cut off and on. What can cause the head pressure to fluctuate as such?

That head pressure is very high! Is the condenser coil restricted and dare I ask, is the condenser fan motor operating correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gialieu View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I rechecked the unit.

If the compressor continues to act this way, it will kill the capacitor. This will cause the compressor to not run, and this will affect the temperature of the unit. Otherwise, the temperature is fine. Even so, the compressor unit is not very hot, but it is warm.

The low pressure switch is fine. The cut in setpoint for the low pressure switch is set to 30psig.

Although, the head pressure fluctuates from 300psig to over 450psig. I think this causes high pressure switch to cut off and on. What can cause the head pressure to fluctuate as such?

This is the condition that I was suspecting.

I gotta say it this way:

If you've gotta ask what causes it then you probably aren't qualified to fix it.

Time to bring a Pro in to take over, boss.

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that the condenser motor fan is operating correctly.

Are you sure fan is operating in proper direction?