Surge protector for AC unit

I just had my AC checked out today, it's a Trane that's 2 years old. He said everything looks good, but he would suggest a surge protector. He says it's $, but he can do it for $. He says it's a 240V that would cover the outside AC and inside heater. Does this make sense or is it just something he wants to add on?

(the first time they came to check the heater, they gave me a "free" water heater inspection and they put on a new nozzle and anode rod.)

Thanks.

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-19-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Was the "free" water heater inspection actually free? Take a hint, you're being "sold". If lightning actually hits your home, it'll probably cause lots of damage either way (and blow up this "surge protector"!). Your "tech" is actually a salesperson with a sales quota. IMO anyway!

Lightning is something completely different and there is nothing short of lightning rods that will help that. A surge protector is for everyday minor power fluctuations. Not saying it will help anything, but it sure won't hurt anything. I've used them quite a lot in areas that have power ups and downs and people have problems with their hvac systems and putting them on greatly reduced them. If you live in a rural area or areas of heavy construction, I would definitely put one on. Those seem to be the areas that have the most problems.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

I've installed quiet a few, mostly in high efficency equipment. To protect the Control Boards and ICM Moduals. The problem is most are only good for a one time use. So it will protect for the first event, but once it sacrifices itself, it has to be replaced. So if you don't check it often, you might not be covered.

most likely the tech was just selling stuff.
    yes, the surge protectors can protect your electronics in the a/c system...
    is it a heat pump? is it a high efficiency model? if not... likely, there is nothing electronic for it to protect... they don't protect motors...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Quote Originally Posted by sgraefe View Post
    I've installed quiet a few, mostly in high efficency equipment. To protect the Control Boards and ICM Moduals. The problem is most are only good for a one time use. So it will protect for the first event, but once it sacrifices itself, it has to be replaced. So if you don't check it often, you might not be covered.
    I have also installed several over the years on high end equipment. I do advice a customer who has problems with power surges/outages regular that they are worth the money to help in protecting their system.

Surge protectors, inline safety switches, water alarms, flow plus drain cleaning system etc... Are all good products if the system and customer can benfit from them and helps to protect their homes from damage from
    Things that can happen.

Add ons are just that things that can be installed to help with problems that may occur. One that I am looking at to start recommending to my customers are firestats installed in the supply duct so if smoke is detected will shut the system down. While this have been used for years in commercial properties per code they are not code here in Lousiana for resdential homes. Great product that can save lives in case of a fire.

The what ifs are what get you. You don't have any of the above installed and power surge occurs, stopped up drain line, fire etc... Happen and you don't have you might wish you did but by then it's often to late. Just my 2 cents. I will never recommend a product that I belive is not a benfit for a customer some say add on I say security. Offer the options and if the customers chooses to have installed great if not that ok to at least you have them the option.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    The what ifs are what get you. You don't have any of the above installed and power surge occurs, stopped up drain line, fire etc... Happen and you don't have you might wish you did but by then it's often to late. Just my 2 cents. I will never recommend a product that I belive is not a benfit for a customer some say add on I say security. Offer the options and if the customers chooses to have installed great if not that ok to at least you have them the option.
    Absolutely agree. I have a surge protector on my outdoor unit (XL20i), as we have relatively frequent power outages when the weather gets bad. For the cost, the added protection made sense to me.

Wow, thanks for all the answers guys.

Surge protectors don't protect motors?

My system is a Trane 15i, the condenser and heater are inside. The heater does have a plug going into a wall outlet. Must be for the power for the electronics of the heater and air conditioner. Would it make sense to put a single plug surge protector on this?

The guy told me he would put a surge protector outside on the air conditioner unit and that would cover the inside too.