Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This house was a neat project I got to hand pick the equipment for. It was a 3100sqft home with two 3 ton 10 seer trane units. The duct in the attic consisted of 3 9" flex supplies to spider boxes. One unit had shorter 14" return. One longer 16". Needlessto say both had mold issues and lost capacity. The old units pull 13amps. New units 7-8.

We installed two more supplies and a return into a sunroom which added another 380sq ft to make it roughly 3500.

We used two 2.5 ton identical units which fit the existing undersized duct better. (Sunroom unit running lower static now) Both units have 22kbtu compressors. The other unit is still running at 0.70 - .75 TESP but in range on blower chart @950cfm.

The house has been doing great. They keep it at 72/74 during the day and crank the bedroom/sunroom unit to 69 at night.

Customer went from roughly 375/month to 275-290/month.

What were the insulation levels like

Quote Originally Posted by THEone2223 View Post
    I would have replaced the duct bored with metal
    There isn't anything inherently wrong with properly installed duct board. In humid climates, it even has some substantial performance advantages over internally lined sheet metal.

Unless there is some pressing need to replace it, you won't get many jobs replacing duct board return and supply trunks with metal just because you don't like duct board...

Change outs still have meet code we have horrible code inspectors here so people get away with doing installs and change out in correctly all the time when you do change outs that's something contractors need to consider when biding a change out sometimes they don't allow them selves enough to correct the problems or they don't care around here they don't care about anything but the all mighty dollar
    While I'd like to see everything done completely up to code, I don't agree with absolutely rigid enforcement on existing structures.
    Make it safe, and make the service access reasonable, as is the intent of the code, if not always to the letter of the code.
    There is absolutely no justification for forcing home owners into spending thousands of dollars complying with codes that don't directly relate to health and safety, or that won't save them more in reduced energy consumption than it cost to comply with the letter of the code.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

It's been proven that fiberglass fibers lead to health issues and damage to electronics

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    There isn't anything inherently wrong with properly installed duct board. In humid climates, it even has some substantial performance advantages over internally lined sheet metal.
    Metal duct should be insulated on the out side not the inside fiberglass is a thing of the past within a duct system

Looks nice. We always use float switches on closet jobs. It can save a big mess. Also, did you put running traps in the drain lines? Nice job.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac hero View Post
    Looks nice. We always use float switches on closet jobs. It can save a big mess. Also, did you put running traps in the drain lines? Nice job.
    Thank you. No float switch since its the garage. Traps are outside. You can actually see them in lineset pics.

Makes sense. I didn't realize they were in garage.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

It's been proven that fiberglass fibers lead to health issues and damage to electronics
    Who proved that, and when?

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Quote Originally Posted by penderway View Post
    Who proved that, and when?
    Fiberglass only causes cancer in the state of California.

At least that's what the stickers on all of the equipment say...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Fiberglass only causes cancer in the state of California.

At least that's what the stickers on all of the equipment say...
    I ain't moving there then!
    Good 1 mark

I knew that asbestos fibers were so small they couldn't be evacuated normally from your lungs ,but fiberglass is so much bigger and comes out with the rest of the airborne particles and fibers we breath.

So california hasn't banned it, but is putting warning stickers on equipment so people who are afraid can stay away? I'm not afraid.

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Quote Originally Posted by penderway View Post
    I knew that asbestos fibers were so small they couldn't be evacuated normally from your lungs ,but fiberglass is so much bigger and comes out with the rest of the airborne particles and fibers we breath.

So california hasn't banned it, but is putting warning stickers on equipment so people who are afraid can stay away? I'm not afraid.
    are you qouting yourself in your sig line ? nothing wrong with that, just sayin........
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast