+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Metasys Questions

Post Likes

Metasys Questions

Hi guys, I have been using the metasys PMI version 11 for the past 6 years, we never saw a need to upgrade, all still works fine. I do all my own m5 programming and maint on the system. this is installed in a Panasonic plasma display R&D facility in NY.

First question, I dont want to do what it takes to get M-web, but i would love to ve able to view points and access them online. I havent thought of anything other than a vga-ntsc converter and a jpeg upload to a webpage to view my graphics page. I have seen some talk on here about 3rd party intergration. any thoughts without breaking the bank. (although I am in Panasonic, this has a restricted budget, I know, sucks)

Second question, Is there anyway at all to stop the PMI interface from "logging out" after 24 hours of no activity? I just want the M5 graphics page and my network map to stay open all the time.

last question, Is there any updated type of software for the metapage program that will allow text messages to be sent to modern cell phones? I am so stuck using metapage and cingulars enterprize paging system, and thats not so reliable

Thanx in advance to any of you that helps me out.

Post Likes
    The easiest thing to do,depending upon number of NCM350's you have, might be upgrade to rel 12 and stick an NIE on the network. This will give you Web based access and e-mail capabilites. I have done this on customer sites ,works great, but of course you'll need the budget to to do this (not sure what $$ breaks your bank). Another option to look into might be some type of bacnet interface vai your M5 or look at Iconics for any addons that might fit your application. Just some thoughts.

Post Likes
    I have only one ncm. i wanted to stay away from any pmi upgrade, then i might as well go to the full m-web and get it all. i wanted to figure out a way to do this in version 11 if possible. and the logoff timeout is actually my pet peeve with it right now
    Last edited by plasmud; 03-04-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Post Likes
    So no one here has heard of any way to extend the logoff time on PMI so it doesnt go to the blue johnson controls spalsh logo page?
    I have tried fooling around with the metasys.ini file and this has alot of things to change, but not logoff/logon session times. i think it is locked in at 24 hours. If any of you have heard anything, even if it cant be done, i would appreciate any help you can offer here. thanx

Post Likes
    There is no way that I am know of disabling this function in Metasys. The maximum timeout you can set is 999 minutes. A way that you could possibly circumvent the auto log out is to have a program that executes keystrokes or mouse movements, have it run once every hour using scheduled tasks in windows, it should prevent Metasys from automatically logging off. You can usually find this software as freeware, macro recording software.

Post Likes
    The maxium time out is 1440 minutes or 24 hours like you stated, just found it in the literature

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_jci_guy View Post
    There is no way that I am know of disabling this function in Metasys. The maximum timeout you can set is 999 minutes. A way that you could possibly circumvent the auto log out is to have a program that executes keystrokes or mouse movements, have it run once every hour using scheduled tasks in windows, it should prevent Metasys from automatically logging off. You can usually find this software as freeware, macro recording software.
    i think it requires that a pmi window be oned or clicked on. not just a windows mouse movement or keystroke

Post Likes
    According to the literature it looks at mouse movement or keystrokes.

Post Likes
    i have to try that then, but i was sure my second shift guy toild me if he didnt open a window on pmi it would go into the blue screen, i will check that out monday, thanx

Post Likes
    With only one NCM, why not upgrade to an NAE3500. This would be a low cost solution, get web access and use the email function for alarming.

Post Likes
    ok i found this in my johnson parts account pages. will this directly replace the NC unit i have now (only 1)? and will my GPL programming and my M5 graphics still work the same way?
    Last edited by plasmud; 03-20-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    thanx, i edited my post without refreshing the page to see you have posted it for me

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmud View Post
    ok i found this in my johnson parts account pages. will this directly replace the NC unit i have now (only 1)? and will my GPL programming and my M5 graphics still work the same way?
    GPL and M5 go away. You would need to reprogram the GPL using the SCT software. You would also need to recreate the graphics. You will need to weigh the benefits, but this is the long term future for JCI. If you want to store trends long term, you will need to add an ADS or ADX server.

Post Likes
    Ok, now that I have some prices and some idea of what I am talking about, i have a few more questions.
    1. for a system with only 15 dx-9100's and 6 vfds that on on the N2 bus, should I be looking at the NAE35 , the 45 or the 55? I see only the 55 has windows XP embedded? should this matter to me?

2. if I buy the unit, can I still have a head-end computer, operator station like i have now?

3. what takes the place of the GPL code I wrote to do some stuff between DX units?

4. Is there any software needed after install? Do i need a version of HMI (I have V9.1)

5. what software is needed for graphics? not the M5 i am told.

thanx to anyone that takes the time to help me out here. i really appreciate this discussion

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmud View Post
    Ok, now that I have some prices and some idea of what I am talking about, i have a few more questions.
    1. for a system with only 15 dx-9100's and 6 vfds that on on the N2 bus, should I be looking at the NAE35 , the 45 or the 55? I see only the 55 has windows XP embedded? should this matter to me?

A 35 will be enough- XP embedded doesnt matter

2. if I buy the unit, can I still have a head-end computer, operator station like i have now?

If you want a "head-end" you will need to purchase ADS software if you just have one NAE its really unnessary unless you need to trend alot of data otherwise you just UI into NAE with a browser. however see question #5 regarding graphics

3. what takes the place of the GPL code I wrote to do some stuff between DX units?

You will have to recreate it with LCT or use the companion like globaldata share, autoshutdown .etc ..etc stuff built in the nae.

4. Is there any software needed after install? Do i need a version of HMI (I have V9.1)

SCT will be nessesary for database management and to use the pass-thru tools such as Hpro and GX9100 over the network

5. what software is needed for graphics? not the M5 i am told.

M-5 is a dead stick with NAE's. You will need Visio 2003 or better to create graphics. an ADS would be desireable to accomidate the graphics for performance issues but you can load them on nae but it might slow the system to painful levels.

thanx to anyone that takes the time to help me out here. i really appreciate this discussion
    If I may suggest something? From what you describe I think you would be much happier with a FX-40 instaed of a NAE. here is a link.

http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.co...DF/1900374.PDF

Post Likes
    FWIW long tern trend and alarm storage can be acomplished with the export utility on a stand alone NAE.
    IlovemyjobIlovemyjobIlovemyjob....say it with me now!

Post Likes
    ok, you guys are really helping me out here, so here is my whole story.
    I have a metasys system with one ncm unit and 15 or so dx units. we use some gpl and JC basic code, but not much. I wrote all the graphics for the system that shows all the clean room temos and all the pertinent info in the whole plant. I use a JCI supplied computer which is the direct user terminal on a ethernet connection to the ncm. the ncm is n2 with the dx units and a few ABB drives on it to control make up air units.
    The main thing I need/want is the abilty to send messages to my cingular phone via email, (i use metapage now with cingulars enterprize paging service) also the only way i can get into the system remotley is to dial in to the external modem attached to the NCM unit.
    I like the NAE35 and 45, I am just now starting to look at the fx40. what i need to know is what if any software i need to buy to make the fx40 work, I do some trending not for very long, and some scheduling.
    and the good part is my boss is telling me, whatever you want to buy, buy it before arpil 1st. so i am kinda in a hurry here
    thanx again for all the help

Post Likes
    If you buy a FX-40 it comes with workbench software in it and that has everything you need. Graphics, paging, email notification historys and everything elseyou would need on such a small site .

Post Likes
    The NAE-35/45 has the ability to send the e-mail notification, there is also a version with an internal modem for connection to paging services. You could re-use your M-Graphics by cutting and pasting them in to any program that can save in jpg format, cutting down on development time for graphics you already created. I am not familiar with the FX40 but it wouldn't suprise me if you could do something similar with it. I am not sure of the pricing difference, since I work for JCI we are only allowed to utilize the NAE product the FX product it is reserved for the ABCS contractors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in